Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Poor Toshiba SD340E experience

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nigelpinder, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Nigelpinder

Nigelpinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thought it was about time I upgraded my old Cyberhome 528 player. Looked around and the Toshiba SD-340E caught my eye. Bought one on Friday and tried it out over the weekend. Connected to my Toshiba 36ZP18 via Component cables.

The picture quality is very impressive, DivX performance is very good, seems better than watching via PC.

However, I have a serious problem with this player and cannt seem to find a way round it.

I own several DVD`s, but also a large selection of films for my kids, I learned from experience that sometimes they dont look after them as well as I do, so I burned backups for them to use, keeping the master safe.

I use Ritex DVD-R 4x disks, Pioneer 107 writer.

All these disks played fine in the cyberhome, however, after 1hour in the 340e, blockiness starts appearing, then after 1 1/2 hour, the disk locks completely. Have tried over 6 disks, all do the same, I have tried them on a friends Sony player (forgot the model number) and they all play fine. :thumbsdow

I also tried watching my holiday movies I have transferred to DVD-R and the same thing happens.

Toshiba said the media I had used wasnt supported and implied that I was trying to watch `pirated` films.

If all you watch are original DVD`s, this player seems very good, but if you want to use and home burned disks, I would say avoid at all costs.

Nigel.

2. vwgti

vwgti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem. The DVD usually plays okay for the length of the movie however after this, when watching the extra features or even a new disc it becomes unwatchable. Blocky artifacts appear getting progressivly worse until the disc freezes completely.

I have a feeling it must be a poorly ventilated machine and that it is suffering from overheating??

Avoid!

3. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - same problem here. Just noticed it this morning actually on my Ritek DVD-Rs too.

But read the manual, it states that it only plays MPEG-4/DivX on CDs, not DVDs. And I've not had any problem playing those.

So not a 'problem' then, I just wish they'd put up a warning message instead of getting me excited and then putting me down.