Poor SSD speeds Kingston HperX 3K 120Gb

Biff0r

Novice Member
I bought a new Kingston HyperX 3K few months back and only just got around to installing.

I already had a IntelX25 160Gb drive and was impressed with performance.
I ran it through CrystalDiskmark today and it appears to be fairly slow.

I have original image from my X25 and also for the HyperX.

Anyone confirm these are rubbish speeds?

I did find out also today my BIOS had reset back to IDE rather than AHCI, plus few other things, did have a power outage otherday.

Thanks in advance

HyperX Speeds:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
They look like perfectly reasonable speeds to me, a hard drive would be getting around 2-3MB/s on the 4k tests so that's definitely the sorts of speed an SSD should be getting.

Biff0r

Novice Member
only reason why is my X25 gets this and on SATA 2 where above is suppose to be SATA3

Biff0r

Novice Member
Gigabyte x58a UDR3.

mdbarber

just to be sure you do have the ssd connected to the specific port allocated to sata3 6Gbs ?
but anyway, via google it seems a lot of people complaining about that board and its appalling sata3 6Gbs performance using raid 0 arrays thought by the sound of it its simply the higher throughput that's the problem if a single ssd can cause the issue as well.
most seem to blame the marvel controller used on that board so maybe they have foud a workround via firmware, check the download page on gigabytes site to see if theres an updatd bios or firmware for the marvel controller.
otherwise its down to obtaining a sata 6Gbs card to bypass the marvel chip.

Biff0r

Novice Member
I rechecked the ports after reading above and also on google, it appears I did plug into wrong ports, not all the white ones are SATA3 only port 5/6 are, thanks and here latest results. Only now worried that my X25 isnt as good now :/