Poor Speed & Range

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by Reece, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Reece

Reece
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Im only getting a 2Meg download speed, and im living in greater london! I've decided to replace the facia with a built in microfilter and recable from the BT incoming into the master socket with external grade Cat5.

If this doesnt improve things what else can i do?

On another note I have the black sky router (sagem?) and the range is poor. Checked local frequencies and im the only one on 11.
    So is it worth upgrading the router to Skys N, or get a Linksys / Netgear one?

Thanks

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Where you live us neither here not there, it is the length and quality of the pair of wires between you and your local exchange that counts. You may simply be along way from the exchange.

You should not "recable from the BT incoming into the master socket". That is BT's wire and you are not allowed to touch it.

Replacing the faceplate to pre-filtered type, or simply removing the ring wire, often helps though.

As to WiFi, to avoid channel conflict, you need to be on a channel that is at least two channels away from any that are in use. (WiFi channels overlap.) That is to say, if you are on 11, the next nearest channel in use should be 8.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. Reece

Reece
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havnt a ringwire attached, just 1 pair going onto a/b on the master socket.
    As for the incoming, BT done a shocker with the install and its not as if they will find out.

When I checked the channels before I seemed to be ok with conflict from others. That aside could replacing the router be a good idea?

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    1. The ring wire is downstream of the Master socket.

2. In what respect have BT: "done a shocker with the install". If you ever have an engineer out they will spot the UTP in two seconds flat.

3. You MAY get better coverage with 80-2.11n

5. Reece

Reece
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What routers can you recommend?

6. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    i guessing you live far from exchange

7. Reece

Reece
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, greater london as original post. Friends in the same borough using sky are getting 8-10 Meg.

Today I re-wired my incoming cable, replaced my master socket with a ADSL v1.0 faceplate to remove the need of a microfilter and it's improved my speed by half a meg at the most. Nothing to shout about.

Ordered my Sky Wireless N Router today, hopefully that will improve speeds. If not, then back to Sky I go!

8. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    To reiterate, WHERE you live is neither here nor there. The major speed factor is the length and quality of the pair of wires that connect your dwelling to the local exchange - as you have found by "tuning" that part of it that is inside your dwelling.

As to rural locations, the same laws of physics apply as anywhere else. Here in deepest Hampshire, I have customers who get extremely good speeds simply because they are so close to their local exchange.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +418
    Just because you live in London does not mean you will get good speeds. People who live in tiny villages next to a little exchange will get higher speeds than someone off a major exchange that lives a few miles away.