Poor sound quality with Stereo media in a 5.1 set up (Denon 1612)

redtilldead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just got a Denon AVR-1612 and Pure Acoustics 5.1 Supernova Package and need some help please.

My current set up is as follows:

• Cable TV out > HDMI > AVR In
  • AVR Out > HDMI (Not ARC) > Samsung TV In
  • TV Out > Optical > AVR In

I have set up the following settings in my Denon 1612 after running Audyessy:

• All speakers are set to 'small'
  • Crossover frequency: 80
  • LPF for LFE: 120
  • Dyn Equaliser ON
  • Dynamic Volume ON
  • Remaining are all default Audyessy settings.

The thing is, when I play 5.1 files via usb, which is connected directly to my TV, I get amazing surround sound and quality. However, when I switch to my cable and watch standard TV (stereo?), the sound (and bass) is severely lacking (i.e. selecting 'stereo' mode in the AVR). It feels as if my old LG HTiB was better at handling stereo with decent bass when watching standard stuff.

Please can someone please advise if there is some particular setting that may need to be tweaked to get a better sound?

Appreciate your help and support.

My first thought would be to turn Dynamic Volume to OFF.
Secondly is your sub outputting as it should be in Stereo .. press 'CH LEVEL' button on the remote and see if it's in the list on the GUI .. you could try increasing it's volume from here too.
You could also try out some of the other modes by pressing the MOVIE button to cycle through them .. one of the others might sound better!

.. press 'CH LEVEL' button on the remote and see if it's in the list on the GUI .. you could try increasing it's volume from here too.

That's exactly what I had tried a couple of days back and am satisfied with the sound now! :)

The issue was that I was expecting the same sound performance with 5.1 and Stereo sources with the same settings. However, It seems that the key is to have slightly different settings for both.

So as you mentioned, I simply increased the Subwoofer Bass for Stereo sources by using the 'CH LEVEL' button. The good thing is that the subwoorfer bass was not affected for 5.1 sources so I don't have to keep changing values! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom