poor sky picture via rf

zico martin

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably quite a basic problem and I suspect I know what the answer is, however here goes...

After buying a new Tv / video cabinet I plugged in all my bits and bobs :

ps2
vcr
dvd player
sky box
amplifier

however when i connected all the bits together again I found a problem. Sky looks fine when going through the scart cable ( AV2 channel) but whenever I want to use the TV guide facility, or press the sky button, this automatically changes to the RF channel 6 which is very poor quality ( ghosting etc). When I pull my sky box out to make sure the rf cable is in correctly I notice that the TV picture does get noticeable better ( although still not crystal clear).

Am I right in thinking this has soemthing to do with interference and I need a better quality rf cable between my box and my telly?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

uh oh, if the sky remote is sending a signal and your tv is picking this up as a command to change to channel six, i am pretty sure there is nothing you can do, i have had similar problems that when the sky remote is set to control a tv all sorts of strange things started to happen to the video, the only way around it was to remove the code, leaving it ness to use seperate remotes.
hope some one else can answer this as it would be really usefull

try putting dvd in scart 2 and sky into scart 1

ijd said:
try putting dvd in scart 2 and sky into scart 1

sorry i fed you false information, there is no AV2 on my telly ( only one scart socket) hence I am using a switch box.

With regards my sky remote control, yes its a pain that it has to operate my TV as well ( as I cant get any terrestial channels through it anyway) but it was as much to do with the poor picture quality I am getting Sky through the RF cable.

not sure why the picture would get better when you touch the cable unless it is a poor conection, sometimes if you hold an arial the terestial picture will improve but when you release the aerial the snow returns,your body acts like an aerial, dont know why this would happen witha sky image though.
what connections are available on the back of the tv, ie composite s.video and component?

also disconnect sky from the tv and then select tv guide on your sky remote, what happens then?

ijd said:
not sure why the picture would get better when you touch the cable unless it is a poor conection, sometimes if you hold an arial the terestial picture will improve but when you release the aerial the snow returns,your body acts like an aerial, dont know why this would happen witha sky image though.
what connections are available on the back of the tv, ie composite s.video and component?

also disconnect sky from the tv and then select tv guide on your sky remote, what happens then?

the picture doesnt get better when i touch the cable, but when i move the sky box aware from the other appliances which is why i thought it may be to do with interference.

when the rf cable is removed from the sky box and i press tv guide, the tv changes to channel 6 which no longer gets any picture at all. as expected i guess.

im seriously considereing upgrading to sky+ to at the very least get all this crap sorted out once and for all!

the sky plus remote codes are completely different, so if this is ,and it sounds like it, a problem with the tv guide and channel six on the tv remote code then sky+ would sort out this problem.
personnaly i cant recommend sky plus enough, i now wonder how i lived without it. :hiya:

Hi

If you have a TV with one scart socket and you have enough money to afford sky+, then I would sujjest that you upgrade your TV.
Get a TV with 3+ scart sockets and get some advise or get someone to connect them all together.

Nigel

Upgrading to Sky+ may leave him with the same problem; namely the SKY button switches his TV to the RF channel for Sky which gives a poor picture to see the program planner etc. All he needs is to stop the Sky remote switching his TV off the Scart connection when the Sky button is pressed.

The ghosting problem is more likely to be RF channel interference from othe RF kit. As a suggestion, the RF output channel should be changed to another (trial and error ) but using a low number like 23 may help) and the TV(s) retuned if Sky is fed around the house.

nig28 said:
Hi

If you have a TV with one scart socket and you have enough money to afford sky+, then I would sujjest that you upgrade your TV.
Get a TV with 3+ scart sockets and get some advise or get someone to connect them all together.

Nigel
you dont need three scarts
if your video only has one scart then your tv only needs two,if your video has two scarts two then your tv only needs one, if your dvd has two scarts then this is even better you can connect,
dvd to av2 on video, av 1 on video to av 1 on sky av2 on sky to av on tv, although if the dvd has to scarts it is best to make this the final connection direct to tv..therefore video av1 to sky avi1 sky av2 to dvd av1 and dvd av2 to tv, pretty sure thats how it works

nig28 said:
Hi

Nigel

but that wouldnt solve the problem I have with regards my remote control, and I wouldnt get the best tv in the world for £99 would I? (thats the price of the sky+ box isnt it?)

ijd said:
you dont need three scarts
if your video only has one scart then your tv only needs two,if your video has two scarts two then your tv only needs one, if your dvd has two scarts then this is even better you can connect,
dvd to av2 on video, av 1 on video to av 1 on sky av2 on sky to av on tv, although if the dvd has to scarts it is best to make this the final connection direct to tv..therefore video av1 to sky avi1 sky av2 to dvd av1 and dvd av2 to tv, pretty sure thats how it works

i can manage with only TV scart socket by putting sky and dvd through my vcr's 2 scart sockets but if I remember correctly, the dvd suffers that way. Using a switch box it seems ok. im getting a headache thinking about this now!

to eb honest Im thinking upgrading to sky+ would sort things out but I will try some of the suggestions to re-program my remote control although I have tried that before and I believe it doesnt work with an av channel.

QUOTE"i can manage with only TV scart socket by putting sky and dvd through my vcr's 2 scart sockets but if I remember correctly, the dvd suffers that way. Using a switch box it seems ok. im getting a headache thinking about this now!"UNQUOTE
depends on the quality of equpment,
no disresect but only one scart on tv suggests lower end or lcd of around 19/20 inch, in either case i dont think the lose would be that noticeable,(on top grade equipment then yes, if you dvd has 2 scarts then this would be higher end, and that is why it would go straight to tv, if only one then on the end of the (daisy chain) would be acceptable.

sky + and normal sky remotes use different codes, so sky+ should not cause the tv to select channel 6 when the guide button is pressed.

ijd said:
sky + and normal sky remotes use different codes, so sky+ should not cause the tv to select channel 6 when the guide button is pressed.

But you can prevent the Sky remote from doing that. Upgrading to + for the sake of a few key presses on a remote seems a bit drastic to me!!

Malice said:
But you can prevent the Sky remote from doing that. Upgrading to + for the sake of a few key presses on a remote seems a bit drastic to me!!

but its not just for the sake of a few keys...you are getting sky+ into the bargain :smashin:

Malice said:
Read this:
http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/programming_the_sky_rcu.htm

If you follow the instruction in the last bit, but choose a channel number which is your AV Scart channel (if you can assign it) or choose 0 which can mean "AV" channel.

HTH

unfortunately my AV scart channel is 61 on my TV, but if i try to assign that to my Sky button it simply goes to channel 6, and then 1!

thanks anyway ( sky+ is getting closer. Thats if its still worth getting after the latest upgrade, yeah ive read a few other threads tonight!)

just a thought, if you can, cover the tv remote sensor so you can not control the tv with the remote, then see what happens when you select tv guide,let us know the result

ijd said:
just a thought, if you can, cover the tv remote sensor so you can not control the tv with the remote, then see what happens when you select tv guide,let us know the result

bloody hell that works! if i put a piece of card over the tv sensor I may have a solution. Of course the TV volume cant be controlled by the remote control anymore then but i guess ive just gotta make sure it is always going through my surround sound amp speakers instead!

still want sky+ now though and have even started the discussion with the wife!

ok that confirms that it is the remote codes are the same for tv channel as is the sky remotes tv guide, sky plus will rectify this for you, order it and enjoy :thumbsup:

plus if you have surround, sky movies 1,2 and 3 come with dd5.1 so go out and get yourself a toslink and connect it up properly, also if you have two premium channels you can get sky plus for £49.00 for the pvr1 box or £69 for the pvr3 if you are interested pm me and i will tell you how, this comes with no subscription for sky+ and no multiroom, but you do have to have either two movie, two sports or one of each..

Hi
Judging by the equipment you have, ps2
vcr
dvd player
sky box
amplifier, your TV is important to you.

I would be surprised if you set-up all this gear correctley, without paying someone.

Nigel

nig28 said:
Hi
vcr
dvd player
sky box

I would be surprised if you set-up all this gear correctley, without paying someone.

Nigel

well any advice would be appreciated.

i think ive done it right but...

dvd has one scart socket
video has 2 scart
tv has one scart socket

and ive got a 3-1 scart switch box

dvd-switch box
ps2 - switch box
sky - video - switch box

am i right or a meringue?

nig28 said:
Hi
vcr
dvd player
sky box

Nigel
rocket science it is not,
just follow your instructions, if in doubt just ask, keep your money in your wallet, that is what this forum is about

my system,connected to tv, skybox,dvd, video, playstation,pc, surround sound using two subs, digi sender,easy cam corder connection, sends signal to bedroom tv and theatre system, all connected correctly for recording best picture and sound, just follow the basic rules. :confused: easy and not a scart splitter in sight

Hi

How can you expect to get the right advise, when on your first list you mention a AMP, but then leave it out on your last list.

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom