Poor Sky picture on 2nd TV via RF outlet

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Butthead, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Butthead

Butthead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done searches on the numerous similar problems experienced by users on here but to no avail. I have a coaxial cable about 10m long from my Sky receiver to a second tv. As there is no tv aerial connection to this 2nd tv I use this cable for terrestrial channels too and the picture quality is fine (except for Channel 4). However, the Sky picture on this second tv is quite snowy. I have turned on the RF2 Power, changed the RF Channel number, connected an in line amplifier between the LNB and the Sky box but nothing seems to improve the picture. I have recently moved from a house to a reasonably small block of apartments and having not experienced this problem before, is it possible that the sky signal is not strong enough to feed another tv (signal strength indicates approx 60%)? Would a 10m scart lead or a booster make any difference.

Appreciate any help from the experts :lease:

2. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    The incoming signal strength should have no bearing on the Sky box modulator output. If your Sky picture is fine on your main TV then you have plenty signal strength. A scart cable to the second TV wouldn't offer you the choice to view anything other than the selected channel (but would give you stereo audio). You don't need the power on unless you are using an IR repeater.

10m is not long for an RF lead. I would double check this cable, make sure the screen isn't touching the centre core etc. If possible try another cable, move the second TV next to the main TV and use a short cable.

You did retune the second TV after you changed the frequency out of the Sky box?

regards

Brian

3. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    unplug the aerial cable from the digibox and see if the Sky picture on the second TV improves (there may be a problem with the aerial especially if it is powered by an amp).

Cheers, Franc

4. Butthead

Butthead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FRANTIC FRANC

You are a legend!! I cannot believe it was the aerial. I disconnected it and the picture is now perfect on the Sky channel. Just need a magic eye now to be able to change the channel. Many many thanks :thumbsup:

bsuttie .... thankyou also for your suggestions and help :smashin:

5. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I thought as much, we see this a lot with amped aerials and especially when people plug a cable co. feed into the Digibox (e.g. NTL etc).

If your aerial is not amped up then you should try a number of different frequencies that are not going to clash with your local aerial transmitter frequencies.

Cheers, Franc