1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor skin tones and colours on Sony KDE....37 Plasms

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mattflukes, Mar 19, 2005.

1. mattflukes

mattflukes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

hope you can help. we just bought a sony KDE...37 plasma for 2,500 and are diasppointed with the picture quality. COlour tones are poor, and with skin tones, and around lights instead of it being a smooth colour you get almost rings around them.

We have played with the settings, looked at the input (cable) and can't seem to resolve it. Any ideas? Is it a fault with the plasma or is there something that will fix this?

Many thanks for any advice !

2. stu954

stu954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Settings I have are : Contrast 45, brightness, colour and sharpness all at 50.Noise reduction to "off". colour tone to " cool " and drc mode to high density". If you have this problem with all sources then maybe you have a faulty unit.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    Oh dear... and to think you could have had a 37" Panny 7 series for £1500! If you've only just bought it send it back for a refund and get the Panny and have a holiday with the grand change...

Andy

4. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bit rich coming from somebody who is prepared to list a Sanyo projector and Philips DVD Recorder amongst his prized possessions.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    Oh yeah... have you seen the Sanyo Z3 in action at all? Bet you bloody haven't or you wouldn't have made a daft comment like that! All I was saying was there was a damn sight cheaper way to get a 37" plasma (and a good one at that) than spending £2500 on the Sony.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheapest price for the Sony 37XS1 is £2100. If you want a Sony with a similar picture to a Panasonic Viera then the 37M1 is £1600. The Sonys aren't/weren't poor value if you care to look objectively. I say were'nt as its all change in the consumer TV market in the next few months...

Colour accuracy and skin tones on the 37XS1 are superb - among the best you can get, and leaps and bounds ahead of those Panasonics in that department. If your set looks poor on default settings and on all sources, then you have a faulty unit or just have strange eyes!

As for the 'ringing' this could be either due to digital artefacts from the signal, or the plasma itself. How does analogue TV look?

7. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh dear.... I appear to have touched a nerve. Of course I have seen a Sanyo Z3 in action or I wouldn`t have made a comment like that. What about the Philips DVD Recorder ?
    Perhaps I misjudged the tone of your post. I suspected irony where , obviously, there was none intended.
    It would have been better had I explained as Superpixel has rather than trying to defend somebody in need of assistance other than to suggest an inferior product and a holiday !

8. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'll confirm how superb the Sony PQ is (mine was set up for DVD using the DV Essentials DVD - search elswhere on this site) - not to mention the great looks also! Only shame is that it won't be compatible with Sky HD as the resolution is easily up to the job - not so existing cheap Pannys.