Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Poor signal - best Freeview box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by hornet_boys, Sep 19, 2004.

1. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already own a Daewoo DS608P which I purchased back in May(ish).

I am using an aerial situated in my loft and am running 2 TV's from it. The signal to the freeview box is then run through a booster and then downstairs into the freeview box in the kitchen. The lead I have is probably 3m longer than I require (if that makes a difference?)

Initially I was very impressed with the picture quality provided by the Freeview box however the picture quickly deteriated to a blocky mess, sound however was still excellent.

I returned the box and got a replacement but am experiencing the exact same problems with the replacement box.

If I remove the Freeview box and view analogue TV the reception is more than reasonable and perfectly watchable. However the kids want c-beebies when they eat their breakfast!!

According to the freeview box the signal strength is around the 60% mark and the signal quality is 50% - if I turn off the booster then the box doesn't work at all and I get a bad signal error.

Is there anything I can try to make the signal better or failing that can someone recommend me a freeview box that will work with a poorish signal.

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to my predicament.

2. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The loft is blocking your signal. You have two possible options. Use a higher gain aerial (guessing your aerial is a low gain type), or get an external aerial installed by a pro.

3. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Archie

I got the aerial from Argos - described as a digital aerial when I bought it - cost about £40 if I remember rightly.

I just went in the loft to double check the alignment of the aerial and decided to flip the aerial 90 degrees so that the fins (or whatever they are called) are pointing upwards rather than sideways and low and behold an increase in signal strength and quality by about 15% and a perfect picture.

Could just be a coincidence I suppose but all seems well at the moment with the freeview signal. One downside seems to be a deteriation in the analogue signal pumped into my sons bedroom but its still watchable.

Fingers crossed it has solved the problems.