Poor results from DVI/HDMI question?

Murray

Today I have the Sanyo Z4 and using the Denon 3910 for DVD.My question is, why still does Component always look better than DVI/HDMI? I have a $700 top of the range DVI cable yet the image is never as smooth looking as the Component. It is grainy and not as dense looking a component!
Its not the setup as its been the same with every projector I have had. 1st was Hitachi TJX100, Panasonic 700, Mitsubishi 900, Panasonic 900 and now the Sanyo Z4. They were all the same, not as good as the component. DVI/HDMI is ment to look far better, Im very puzzled??? Im about to unplug it and poke it back up into the ceiling. Any ideas guys, have you found the same thing??? :lease:

PJTX100

There's been much comment on the DVD forums about the fact that DVI/HDMI in no way guarantees superiority over a decent component player. I have first hand experience of this myself, with the Pioneer 575 connected via component proving to be the best PQ on my setup until recently.

If you are upscaling in the player it may be that the scaler in the player isn't as good as that in the projector. If you upscale in the player to a res which isn't the native res of the PJ you are introducing two stages of scaling instead of one.

Theoretically the fact that you are removing D-A-D stages should make the picture better but it seems in practice this isn't an overriding factor.

My current player of choice is the Oppo connected to the TX100 via DVI. I upscale the image in the Oppo to 720p and the picture quality is superb.

All that said, the 3910 is a serious piece of kit hence its upscaling / HDMI / DVI capabilities should be very good. It may just be of course that its component ability is even better!...PJ

PS You really get through projectors don't you?! :)

Murray

All that said, the 3910 is a serious piece of kit hence its upscaling / HDMI / DVI capabilities should be very good. It may just be of course that its component ability is even better!...PJ

Yes maybe your right, the 3910 is a great player and maybe the component on it is way better than the DVI. If I had a cheaper player with DVI to try maybe it would prove to be better on DVI than Component. Interesting :cool:

Murray

pingu said:
Have a look at this post:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2096136&postcount=2

ianh64 gives a neat explanation as to why YPbPr over HDMI (and presumably over analogue) can give better results than DVI which is RGB.

Have you tried using HDMI->HDMI and setting the Denon to HDMI (Y Pb Pr) output?
OMG I dont believe it!!!!! :clap:
Pinju you had the answer to what I have never been able to understand, you have made me a very happy man :smashin:
My so call $700 lead is DVI only and thats the way Ive always used it as the Denon has both DVI and HDMI. Ive never been able to get a great picture on DVI with all the projectors Ive been using. With the Z4 I was coming out of the Denon in DVI and converting the projector end to HDMI as thats all it has. Still this way the image was far better with component.

When I did what you said and went out of the Denon with the lead converted to HDMI all the grainy picture went and the image became really smooth with heaps of detail. Even the colour of peoples faces became clearer. So now Im using the DVI lead converted both ends to HDMI. After 1 whole year the crap DVI image is fantastic!

Im converted to HDMI forever now!!!
That article was interesting even if I dont understand it all ;)
Thanks so much Pinju for the quick answer to this frustrating problem.

I should have come to the forum earlier for help! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom