Poor Recording Issue

C

Caher

Hi all,
I have a Panasonic DMR E55 DVD recorder whose ability to record is waning. In the beginning it seemed to pick up and amplify any pixilation that my TV was producing. Lately the recorder seems to be unable to either record for the full length of the programme, it seems to get stuck and ‘hang’. And the part it has recorded can be very jumpy.
I spoke to a video repairer and he recommended turning off for a few minutes and then switching it back on but this has not worked.
Oddly enough playback is fine so I thought it’s not a dirty lens issue.
Has anyone any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

H

HelenS

Caher said:
Hi all,
I have a Panasonic DMR E55 DVD recorder whose ability to record is waning. In the beginning it seemed to pick up and amplify any pixilation that my TV was producing. Lately the recorder seems to be unable to either record for the full length of the programme, it seems to get stuck and ‘hang’. And the part it has recorded can be very jumpy.
I spoke to a video repairer and he recommended turning off for a few minutes and then switching it back on but this has not worked.
Oddly enough playback is fine so I thought it’s not a dirty lens issue.
Has anyone any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
It might still be worth running a lens cleaning disc in it if you haven't already, just in case. Also, I wonder if you have any of the Panasonic-branded 2-3x CPRM-ready discs in slim jewel cases (such as I bought in multipacks of either 3 or 5 last year from places like Dixons and Argos). I am beginning to suspect that there is a bit of a problem with those, because our E55 was showing occasional glitches on several of those, where there would be a short burst of pixellation, maybe a glitch on the sound, and perhaps the upper half of the picture occupied by a recording that had previously been erased, for a few seconds. I was blaming the recorder until the same thing happened when I transferred a recording from our EH60D onto one of these discs to play back on the E55 - I found the glitch also reproduced on the EH60D when it played the disc, but it was not present on the original HDD recording. When I scrutinised the recording surface, there were a couple of tiny oval marks with slightly different reflectivity. Made me wonder.

This is deeply ironic, because DVD-RAM is supposed to be the most robust rerecordable medium, with 100,000 reuses rather than the 1,000 of the RW formats, and built in error correction. Somebody on the forum recently mentioned that when they phoned Panasonic about a problem, they recommended using Maxell DVD-RAM discs - so I wonder if there is a manufacturing issue with these discs? Some older 2x Panasonic discs I have are still fine.

Top Bottom