1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor reception: a question about aerials

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Willy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just got my new Toshiba 32ZD26P, and by and large I am very happy indeed. However, the standard TV picture is pretty poor, and I keep having to move the aeiral around to get a good reception: hardly appropriate when you've just spent the best part of a grand on the TV!

The aerial I am using is one of those standard ones you can pick up in Argos for a tenner. Yeah, I've had it a while! I was wondering if I could get a similar sort of thing, only better quality, and whether that would be likely to significantly improve my picture.

Alternatively we have cable with NTL, and I guess I could plug into that, but that really would be the last resort, as I think my Dad would rather see me leave home than start rewiring the house!

Thanks...

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Willy - around a grand for the TV - and ten quid for the aerial...I don't think you need any of us to tell you the real solution.

It's a bit like £1,000 for the speakers and £10 for the amplifier and CD.

Tell me you are not serious...

3. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's the aerial. Which is why I came on here to ask for advice as to what to do about it. Give me a break mate, I only got the TV yesterday, and I didn't know the reception would be so bad (it's in a different part of my room).

As I said, I've had the aerial for a while. Obviously I need a new one, but I don't know whether a £100 aerial will help the situation much (or even if they go up to that much), or whether I'd really be best off connecting to NTL.

Care to enlighten me?

4. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One option is to get a Freeview box. Providing you can get reception with that you should get a wonderful picture.
    Also assuming thats a widescreen tv you'll be able to feed it a proper widescreen signal.

5. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but doesn't this work via the roof-top aerial? Please tell me if I'm wrong.

My problem is that my TV is in my bedroom and isn't connected to the roof-top aerial. I can't connect to it without doing some cabling around the house, and that's what I'm trying to avoid due to my parents being seriously unimpressed last time anything like that happened.

Anyone use an aerial booster type-thing? How effective are they?

Cheers.

6. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    A set that size is going to show any imperfections in the signal. There really is no substitute for a decent outdoor or possibly loft mounted aerial. I would recommend Antiference. As you are in Bedfordshire I assume you are on Sandy Heath transmitter? If that is the case you will probably need a wideband aerial if you want to get DTT signals as they are transmitted on channels well outside of the group A analogue channels from Sandy.

7. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for that - yes I am on the mighty Sandy Heath transmitter! I see you live in St Albans, so we are practically neighbours since I work in Harpenden. :)

OK, my understanding of this is that I get a loft mounted aerial, and then the wire comes out of that and I stick it in the back of my TV. Is that correct?

The problem is if I do that then I'm doing wiring stuff etc anyway, and so I may as well just go the whole hog and connect to our existing NTL cable.

If there is no other option then I will do the wiring thing, but it's going to be painful! I was hoping there might be an alternative.

I take it the lack of response to the booster suggestion is because they're pretty poor, right?

Thanks for the help.

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    That's about right. If you can't put the aerial outside, the loft will do but you may find that you get occasional problems when it rains or snows because of reflections from the water on the roof. The rule with aerials is the same as with computers - garbage in = garbage out. Get the best you can afford and get it as high and free from obstructions as you can. If you do put it in the loft, keep it clear of metal obstructions (water tanks, pipes, etc.). Use good quality air spaced coaxial cable and avoid kinking it on the run down. Make sure you solder the centre pin of the connector that goes into the TV. If you don't, it will oxidise in time and give signal problems.

Boosters can occasionally work but they can boost noise as well as wanted signal and sometimes make things worse. The only time I use them is situated near the aerial to increase the signal if it is going down a long cable run.

9. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your help Gary. :)

10. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I had the same problem when living at home.

I paid the local aerial man 40 quid to put a split from the main house aerial into my room, with about a spare 10 m of cable, so I could have it anywhere in the room!!

Hope that helps!

11. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I may do that, but first I'm going to see how much NTL want to connect my TV to the existing set-up.

The best solution would simply be to leave home and drill as many holes as I want all over my own house, but sadly I am a bit broke at the moment due to my new investment!