Poor quality sound from amp or speakers?

DJEzzo

Standard Member
I got a pair of Gale 6ohme 100w speakers and started using them with an old NAD 3020e power amp with old vinyl record deck 2nd hand. When I plug in the speakers the sound quality is very bad and all I can hear is the bass booms and some low quality sound from the songs. Some frequencies such as voices are hard to make out unless I turn down the bass and treble and sit near the speakers. It kind of sounds like a really bad mic recording from an old TV but without the background noise in the room :(.

I'm trying to work out if the amp is overloading the speakers which are monitors used with a hifi amp. Either the speakers or amp is faulty or speakers are too weak for the amp.

Phlog

Novice Member
I got a pair of Gale 6ohme 100w speakers and started using them with an old NAD 3020e power amp with old vinyl record deck 2nd hand. When I plug in the speakers the sound quality is very bad and all I can hear is the bass booms and some low quality sound from the songs. Some frequencies such as voices are hard to make out unless I turn down the bass and treble and sit near the speakers. It kind of sounds like a really bad mic recording from an old TV but without the background noise in the room :(.

I'm trying to work out if the amp is overloading the speakers which are monitors used with a hifi amp. Either the speakers or amp is faulty or speakers are too weak for the amp.

Try another source - it could well be the record deck. If the problem is still there, try the amp with different speakers, or vice versa.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Are the Gale speakers bi-amp/wirable: do they have two pairs of binding posts? (You didn't post a model number, so I have to ask).

If so, make sure you have the correspondingly coloured posts connected to each other using the supplied metal bridges or short lengths of speaker wire.

DJEzzo

Standard Member
Well thanks for all your input. I tested the speaker set up and nothing seems to be a problem with them as I can hear.

I got some cables to plug the amp into my PC and the sound was just as poor and distorted. I phoned the shop and am going to take the amp back and hope I get a refund.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom