Poor quality SD thru SkyHD box

D

dudljo

I've recently upgraded my Sky+ box to Sky-HD. Prior to the upgrade the picture on my LCD Panasonic Viera 37inch was very good, through a good quality scart lead.
After the Sky engineer put in the HD box, he left out the Scart, stating that even SD will look better through the HDMI lead.
But, it looks significantly worse - grainy! I've put the scart lead back, so now I have to swap between AV1 and HDMI when moving from SD to HD to get the best picture.
Why have I this issue? I would have thought the HDMI lead would have scaled up and improved the picture
Any settings I need to know about?

t1m103

try setting the sky hd resolution output to auto,letting your tv do the upscaling,its a vast improvement on my pioneer,or you will just have to put up with switching from scart to hdmi.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I would have thought the HDMI lead would have scaled up and improved the picture

A HDMI cable doesn't upscale anything. But it can carry a signal with a much higher pixel count in it than a scart cable can, so if you allow your Sky HD box to do the upscaling you must use HDMI to carry the signal from Sky box to TV.

But you don't have to let your Sky box do the upscaling. Let your TV do the upscaling by either connecting via scart (as you are doing at the moment for SD transmissions) or by setting the HD output to Automatic, which will still send out SD transmissions in standard definition, and again, your TV will upscale the picture.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
The big problem of course, is that you can't stop the Sky box deinterlacing when you use HDMI. You're stuck with 576p output as opposed to 576i over SCART (or using a DVDO video processor to re-construct the original 576i)

But at least the Samsung and Pace don't seem to be quite as bad at that as the early Thomson boxes so maybe it'll be good enough.

PE06MCG

I've recently upgraded my Sky+ box to Sky-HD. Prior to the upgrade the picture on my LCD Panasonic Viera 37inch was very good, through a good quality scart lead.
After the Sky engineer put in the HD box, he left out the Scart, stating that even SD will look better through the HDMI lead.
But, it looks significantly worse - grainy! I've put the scart lead back, so now I have to swap between AV1 and HDMI when moving from SD to HD to get the best picture.
Why have I this issue? I would have thought the HDMI lead would have scaled up and improved the picture
Any settings I need to know about?

You are right of course and the engineer was wrong..

As post #4 says (thanks Choddo2006) its because STB insists on deinterlaceing the SD signal for HDMI output.

I would go further and say my old Sky+ box does a better job of the Scart output than my Amstrad HD STB's Scart output (wonder if its taking the 576p output then making it 576i for Scart ?).

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom