Poor quality Samsung KS8000 TV sold by PRC Direct

twister5678

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of brand new Samsung UE65KS8000 from PRC Direct.

Upon unpacking I felt that build quality was quite poor than it should have been for a TV of this well brand and cost (I'm previously a sony owner and comparatively quality is much superior)

Whilst unpacking a few things jumped out at me and best described by looking at the attached pictures and points below.

1. The samsung label behind the TV looks like to be very uncleanly stuck, especially if you look at top left corner in the picture, the sticker seems to be coming off.
Dropbox - 2017-06-09 19.46.56.jpg

2. The screws looks like has already been messed with very little care. See pictures below.
Dropbox - 2017-06-09 19.42.52.jpg
Dropbox - 2017-06-09 19.45.30.jpg
Dropbox - 2017-06-09 19.42.02.jpg
Dropbox - 2017-06-09 19.42.38.jpg

3. The stand seems to be broken at the edge (We opened the box very carefully and there was no damage from outside the box). See picture.
Dropbox - 2017-06-09 19.53.25.jpg
Dropbox - 2017-06-09 19.53.40.jpg

4. There's no serial number on the box itself, can someone with same serial/model please check if a serial number is usually printed on the box.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/93kf4oclqv2w1a6/2017-06-09 19.36.47.jpg?dl=0

I finally went on to mysamsung site and tried to register and it seems to have registered fine given the serial number from the back panel of the TV, I'm yet to power up the TV and check if the serial number printed on back panel label matches however for now I just put the TV back in box and came here to get some advise before going ahead.

Am I being needlessly doubtful and above Samsung build quality is normal ? What do you think ?

Those screws have definitely been tampered with. You can see the screwdriver marks, factory's are very precise at installation so I'm wondering if this is a previous return & fix job

Those screws have definitely been tampered with. You can see the screwdriver marks, factory's are very precise at installation so I'm wondering if this is a previous return & fix job

Thank you Carl, very disappointed to see this of course. It's supposed to be brand new and not a ex-display or factory refurbished etc. Here is the product page from PRC direct.

Samsung UE65KS8000 65" Smart SUHD 4K Led TV

No way that TV is new. I'd be sending it back.

Well just spoke to PRC direct, the guy insisted its brand new but I'm sure its not. Don't trust them at all. Wants me to speak to customer service team to ask for a explanation/refund and they're closed till Monday. Great company (not).

When I bought my hu8500 a couple of years back I could have gotten it for £200 or so less, from a company like them. Was very tempted, but went with official Samsung reseller as they had some special deal on that reduced the deficit to around £100. The overhead was peace of mind

When I bought my hu8500 a couple of years back I could have gotten it for £200 or so less, from a company like them. Was very tempted, but went with official Samsung reseller as they had some special deal on that reduced the deficit to around £100. The overhead was peace of mind

Agree, and I myself would have paid extra if Samsung, John Lewis etc would have had any stocks. Made a mistake, oh well, lesson learned.

So am I right in saying that an Brand New Samsung TV should have given better first impressions than what I've explained in my original post ?

This is pretty shocking, they will sort it out. I would write an official complaint to prc to the owners. It doesn't look good on them, I did buy something from them ages ago with no problems but since iv heard some bad stories about them.

This is pretty shocking, they will sort it out. I would write an official complaint to prc to the owners. It doesn't look good on them, I did buy something from them ages ago with no problems but since iv heard some bad stories about them.

This was my first (and quite possibly last) purchase with PRC. It's not that I didn't do due diligence like checking reviews on google, trustpilot (gives them 9 out of 10 with nearly 4000 reviews) etc. Slowly losing faith in well known review sites such as trustpilot and I wonder how many people just put faith in these resellers and settle for whatever they receive without challenging. If companies like PRC are selling fake/low grade good I wonder how much money they would be making by conning as much as they can get away with.

This was my first (and quite possibly last) purchase with PRC. It's not that I didn't do due diligence like checking reviews on google, trustpilot (gives them 9 out of 10 with nearly 4000 reviews) etc. Slowly losing faith in well known review sites such as trustpilot and I wonder how many people just put faith in these resellers and settle for whatever they receive without challenging. If companies like PRC are selling fake/low grade good I wonder how much money they would be making by conning as much as they can get away with.

I think it's unfortunately fairly common now, the amount of times I or others have picked something up from Argos and it's been opened before is stupid. I think sometimes customer returns just go back for sale and for the normal price. If I buy anything now I would always go to Richer Sounds or John lewis. Another place close to me who seem ok is crampton and moore, never had an issue with them either.

Your header Fake is clearly wrong, but it is equally clear that you should send it back.
The screw marks and especially the break tell you that.

I bought a new ks7500 last week from them. They rang me after taking payment to say that the TV was out of stock but that they had a new display model they would send me. It came. It was not new. Couple of marks on the screen but not noticeable when display was on. I rang to complain and they knocked some money off it. They said it came with 5 year warranty so nothing to lose

Your header Fake is clearly wrong, but it is equally clear that you should send it back.
The screw marks and especially the break tell you that.

Well if you paid premium price for a premium brand new TV and on first impressions you see the panels loose and coming apart, poor plastic with marks all over, manufacturer label coming off and screws tempered with like some angry 4 year old has just assembled it, what's the first thing you would think of. You wouldn't even expect this quality from a factory refurbished !!

For all I know it could have been made in some poor copycat factory in China, I know it's big market these days especially for well known brands. It looked a great deal and thought I've bagged a great deal saving a few hundred ££ so now I wonder why.

I was so anxiously waiting delivery and excited to have it set up however seeing all the above just put me off completely and I didn't even bother to turn it on even once. That TV is just sitting there, I'm just given me a bitter taste.

Last edited:
Get it back to them without any delay, and get your money back.
It's made in Slovakia.

I used C&M also, the fact that they are an official Samsung reseller means they are a little more accountable and they have a good reputation

I have just taken delivery of brand new Samsung UE65KS8000 from PRC Direct.

Upon unpacking I felt that build quality was quite poor than it should have been for a TV of this well brand and cost (I'm previously a sony owner and comparatively quality is much superior)

Am I being needlessly doubtful and above Samsung build quality is normal ? What do you think ?
They sold you used ,broken junk that may or may not work and possibly fraudulently if it was supposed to be new !

My new 2016 Samsung UN 55KS 800D
<> UN 55KS 8000 is every bit as good quality fit and finish as any number of Sony TV's I have owned since 1994 and my latest 2015 4K HDR Sony 55X850C here and it works way better than all of them I owned and the two I still own anyway its a very good HDR 1000 TV .

Get what you paid for or I would just cancel the order myself and out them to the authority's and tel them thier CSR insisted the product was new when you complained and tell them to pick up the TV or retain a courier delivery return shipment they pay for or you will bin it within 14 days and not pay for it

Last edited:
No, just mentioning it.

They sold you used ,broken junk that may or may not work and possibly fraudulently if it was supposed to be new !

My new 2016 Samsung UN 55KS 800D
<> UN 55KS 8000 is every bit as good quality fit and finish as any number of Sony TV's I have owned since 1994 and my latest 2015 4K HDR Sony 55X850C here and it works way better than all of them I owned and the two I still own anyway its a very good HDR 1000 TV .

Get what you paid for or I would just cancel the order myself and out them to the authority's and tel them thier CSR insisted the product was new when you complained and tell them to pick up the TV or retain a courier delivery return shipment they pay for or you will bin it within 14 days and not pay for it

Thanks, spoke to them today, they offered some money off given if I keep the TV or I can go for replacement. there's definitely something dodgy as far as I can gather.

Decided not to play gamble and asked for a return for full refund, I would rather pay a little extra and not risk buying something I'm not so sure about. Wouldn't be buying from PRC direct again.

You know it is not a genuine Samsung if the back does not fall off ;)

But seriously, good for you to insist one the refund. They are counting on people not complaining or at least not complaining after the first stonewalling answer...

On another note, does anyone who where can I buy Samsung KS7000 or KS8000 65 Inch. I understand its End of sale so I may have missed the chance. Failing that would anyone else recommend a comparable OLED/QLED 10-bit panel make/model without blowing the budget. Good software is a must (as long as its not sluggish).

So they collected the TV a week ago and still no sign of a refund. Phoned them and they are TRYING to find the returned goods.

I'm going to report these con artists for trading frauds. Having to go through my credit card company charge back process, regret buying from these plonkers.

So they collected the TV a week ago and still no sign of a refund. Phoned them and they are TRYING to find the returned goods.

I'm going to report these con artists for trading frauds. Having to go through my credit card company charge back process, regret buying from these plonkers.

Wow, how can they lose a TV, its beyond a joke. I had a similar experience with another company a few years ago, complete jokers and I think to be honest places like that should be investigated. It was extra infuriating as I knew what kind of cars the bosses had at the company I was using and they not only falsely advertised services that they didn't do correctly but also lied on numerous occasions. It was sickening to be honest so I know how you feel, luckily Samsung were amazing and sorted my problems out, just a shame their customer services has now gone down hill.

Well it took a few calls but the good news is that they did manage to find the returned goods now hope the refund come through without any further chasing up. The annoying bit is that there is no logging or recording so every time I spoke to someone I had to explain the whole story about my order and return. Customer service is non-existent. Perhaps I'm expecting too much but not a company I would like to deal with again.

Coincidentally my 3 year old Sony (still within 5 year John lewis warranty) started showing some stuck pixels last week and I can't praise JL customer service enough for their efforts in helping me repair and arrange everything. So glad my last purchase was with JL, would happily pay extra for their great service.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom