Poor Quality of Virgin Media when daisy-chaining

tbuckland1215

Standard Member
Dear all

I am currently running a Virgin Media box (which is about 5 years old) through my Sony HXD-790 HD DVD recorder and in to the RGB socket of my Samsung 42" flat screen.

I had notice before adding the DVD in to the set up that some cable channels had a particularly poor picture when view on the 42" screen - even when everything is set to send and receive RGB.

Since I added the DVD recorder to the chain, when I watch cable (with the signal passing through the DVD recorder when it is on stand-by), the majority of the channels look terrible, really boxy and "bleary", especially text on the screen (for example, the on screen graphics show in formula 1) which has a gritty "haze" around it.

When I turn the DVD recorder on, the picture quality improved to what I was used to (so not that great really!).

Am I just expecting too much trying to blow a non-HD signal up across 42" or is there a solution that would allow me to improve the picture quality when watching cable directly without having to move my DVD recorder on the non-RGB port of my telly?

I have already tried moving the DVD recorder on to an HDMI port to take advanage of upscaling but found it to be a bit of a con!

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

tbuckland1215

Standard Member
Not too sure what happened there - here it is again without all the script:

Dear all
I am currently running a Virgin Media box (which is about 5 years old) through my Sony HXD-790 HD DVD recorder and in to the RGB socket of my Samsung 42" flat screen.
Since I added the DVD recorder to the chain, when I watch cable (with the signal passing through the DVD recorder when it is on stand-by), the majority of the channels look terrible, really boxy and "bleary", especially text on the screen (for example, the on screen graphics show in formula 1) which has a gritty "haze" around it.

When I turn the DVD recorder on, the picture quality improved to what I was used to (so not that great really!) so it seems the DVD recorded reduces the quality of the signal when on standby.

Am I just expecting too much trying to blow a non-HD signal up across 42" or is there a solution that would allow me to improve the picture quality when watching cable directly without having to move my DVD recorder on the non-RGB port of my telly?

I have already tried moving the DVD recorder on to an HDMI port to take advanage of upscaling but found it to be a bit of a con!
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Tom

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom