1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor quality in DV transfer via firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by beto, Apr 18, 2005.

1. beto

beto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have tried to copy or "capture" (according to what I have read this is not the correct term) a miniDV tape recorded on my camera to my PC many times, using different ways, but always I get a movie with very poor quality. Even the raw file, with not conversion nor compression is really bad. The problem is that the image is dark and the colors are almost lost. I'm realy dissapointed because I have spent a lot of money in all the equipment and so far haven't been able to make good stuff :(

This what I have:
    - My PC is a P-IV 3 Ghz,
    MB ASUS P4P800-Deluxe with Firewire included,
    320 GB Total HDD, (2 HDD 160GB, 1 SATA 1 UATA)
    1 GB RAM
    ... DVD burner and the usual stuff
    - My camcorder is a Cannon ELURA 50

I'm using the firewire port to copy the DV file to the PC. I've tried to do it using WinDV, Pinnacle Liquid Edition 5.5, even the expensive Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5!!! Given the enough HDD space I even installed XP Professional in one disk and Windows 2003 in the other.......

!!Always same result!!!!

I can't beleive my PC is not enough or the camera is bad. If I connect the camera to the TV the image is sharp and brigth!!!

I started to envy a friend with less expensive equipment than mine, that can take his home made movies, copy them to the PC, edit them, and then produce spectacular DVD that he can watch in the TV sharp and clear!!! I haven't even gone through the first step :suicide:

Please some help will be appreciated

BETO

---------------------------------------------------------------
    PD:
    I will have a P-IV, 3Ghz, 320 GB, 1 GB RAM and a Cannon ELURA 50 camera for sale soon! :mad:

2. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to set your Capture as AVI : 720 X 576, 25 fpc, DV PAL , assuming you are PAL user(sorry, don't know Cannon models)

3. beto

beto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, But as I understand, with winDV you are actually tranfering the "raw" file, no compresion, no coding. There's no possibilitie to set such parameters in winDV ... Am I wrong?

4. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Beto is right-the best capture is avi,have you tried capturing in windows movie maker?This give lots of different capture options.Have you tried burning a dvd and watching it on your tv,cos my captured video doesn't look that great on my pc but is top notch on the tv.

Steve

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    As stated to get the best possible quality capture you need to capture the files as AVI. Most if not all capture programs will have some settings and you will need to set the project to be PAL or NTSC depending on what your camcorder records. Although not strictly PAL or NTSC colourspace a DV cam does record as either 50htz (PAL) or 60htz (NTSC).
    Also a PC monitor will never display full quality video as it is simply not really designed for this. To see if the capture process is actually at fault then do as stevetiler suggested and copy the unedited footage to a DVD-/+RW disc and see how it looks on the TV, or even just copy back to another DV tape and then play via the camcorder on the TV. If this footage looks OK then you know the problem is with either the monitor or video card, but at least it will be ok once a DVD is created.

As for your PC, well the specs are far better than on mine and I have no real problems with editing. As already mentioned I think any problems are most likely to be caused by the project settings, rather than a hardware fault.

Mark.