1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor quality from Digibox

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Ademdb, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Ademdb

Ademdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, since getting my new Sony Grand Vega Ive noticed a dramatic quality loss from my Grundig Digibox. Im seeing all sorts of digital corruption and smearing around text etc - DVDs are fine and so is my Gamecube so I blame the Digibox. Is it just because the TV is so big (50") Are any Digiboxes regarded as having better quality than others ? Idealy Id like a Sony with Svideo out so I can use my DVD on RGB again but I guess thats just life sigh...
    Any help would be appreciated
    regards
    Adrian

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    I fancy that the fault is with digital broadcasts in general, and not with your digibox (unless your signal strength/quality are really low for whatever reason). I think most people agree that a good terrestrial signal is actually sharper than its digital counterpart, and your 50" screen is only emphasizing this.

As to the question of some digiboxes outputting a better picture than others, i've looked at Panasonic,Pace, Grundig, Sony - and i couldnt tell any difference. This was actually on a 32" wide Sony.

btw - do you have an old black Grundig box ?, because the newer 310's (silver) actually have S-Video out

Dean

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a 50" screen would really show up the problems with compression on skydigital.

I think sky and other broadcasters still believe that we all have 21" televisions so we wont spot the compression effects.

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    totally agree with doubledoom. Luckily i still have a an old 25" Sony tv, so the picture looks pretty good.

Also remember that they can alter the bit-rate to whatever they want, whenever they want. Didnt i read somewhere that they have lowered it that much on some channels, that this is causing the picture to block/lockup for some subscribers - probably on lesser channels like UK Gold etc.

Dean

5. Ademdb

Ademdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help, my box is an old black grundig so Ill just look for a newer one with svideo and "live" with the artifacts. Serves me right for having such a posh telly eh !! Thanks again.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there a FAQ on this crappy bitrate thing guys? I too am gutted by the pic quality upgrading my set to a 40" widescreen has shown up. It is all a big bloody con this Telewest Digital lark - give my the 5 channels plus Discovery at BETTER THAN ANALOGUE 'bit' rate and pic quality please!

Why do they and how do they decide to vary bit rates per channel - thought it would be fixed at the time of the carrying deal?

Well Pixellated Off!

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    An engineer told me that broadcasters pay for the amount of bit rates they use.

Is this true?

It would explain why the quality on ITV Sport channels is so poor :D

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY rent whole transponders for their own use and re-sell some capacity to other channels.
    Astra and Eutelsat will also rent space on transponders based on bandwidth so yes it's cheaper for broadcasters to run channels a lowest acceptable bitrate.
    I guess NTL sell the capacity on the network in the same way.