Poor quality from Digibox

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ademdb, Mar 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ademdb

Ademdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, since getting my new Sony Grand Vega Ive noticed a dramatic quality loss from my Grundig Digibox. Im seeing all sorts of digital corruption and smearing around text etc - DVDs are fine and so is my Gamecube so I blame the Digibox. Is it just because the TV is so big (50") Are any Digiboxes regarded as having better quality than others ? Idealy Id like a Sony with Svideo out so I can use my DVD on RGB again but I guess thats just life :( sigh...
    Any help would be appreciated
    regards
    Adrian

2. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The bigger (and better quality) the telly is, the more it'll expose the limitations of the digital TV signal. In my experience, anything bigger than a 28" and you really start to notice the compression artefacts in digital TV broadcasts. Unfortunately it's normal, although tweaking the TV picture settings can reduce how noticeable it is...

What size of TV were you running before?

3. Ademdb

Ademdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was a 32" sony before. Parts of the display look like a PC video file played at too large a resolution - as I suppose it is... Oh well at least DVDs rock on it :)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    While I would agree with John in principle I think the use of modern digital signal processing can be of little benifit at times.
    I use a 41" RPTV with no digital features and only 50hz scanning and the picture from the SKY digibox is very good in both RGB and composite.

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my doubts about the ability of Grundig digiboxes when blown up to large sizes. I backed off selling my 310/2 to a forum member when I discovered he was using a projector. Grass on footie games looks unreal, there is a definate "smear" across the screen depending on what other bright colours appear elsewhere on the screen at the same height (don't know what effect this is called). Try a different digibox, you may be shocked to find that not all digiboxes are equal (when viewed on a 21" TV the Grundig's faults can only be spotted because I now know there are there).

6. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to agree with mart.stokes that not all digi boxes are the same.

I (personally) think that my Mums ancient Grundig box gives a much better picture than my (dieing!) Panasonic box, and I have seen them both on the same TV.

7. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be diferrences in the boxes.

I use the SVideo to an external scaler to my CRT projector, which give a very watchable picture on a 7ft widescreen.

Have a 34" tv in the lounge which is fed RF and that has none of the aforementioned complaints.

I did notice this on some Digital TV's in Currys at the weekend when people moved, they smeared across the screen. Can't watch that.........

Have you turned of all tweeks that the telly can do and introduced them one by one?

Nathan