1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor quality, blurry & choppy, capture

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by burtonjunky, Aug 9, 2005.

1. burtonjunky

burtonjunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

First things first, great forum, I've already read many of the posts here and have learned much, but I still need some clarification.

My system:
    1.8G P4, 512MB ram, 40GB primary HD, 200GB secondary HD (DMA active on both), Windows XP Home SP1 (holding out on SP2 for some reason).

Sony DCR-HC85 mini-DV camcorder.

I've just started trying to transfer some of my video to my computer, and I've been able, but the video I've transferred has been blurry, choppy, and really just poor in general. I am currently transferring using a USB 2.0 cable, and I have no doubt that I'll be told to trade that in for a firewire cable. But besides that, what else could there be that could be causing this low-quality transfer? I'm closing all other programs when doing the capture and my pc seems to hardly be noticing what's going on (not bogging-down).
    So far, I've been using the software that came with my camera (Sony Picture Package) and with the DVD burner (Sony DRU800A) which is Nero Vision Express 3. I don't really care for either, they don't seem very user friendly (and of course I'm not getting the results I want).

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You answered your own question there...... Firewire is the way to go. If you're looking for cheap n' easy decent software, checkout the ulead website, you can download a fully functional copy of any of their many editing and authoring packages.

But as you already said - you need to be using firewire.....

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I'm with klr10 here. USB2.0 will never give anything close to full quality capture! Firewire is the ONLY way to go.
    As for software, well with Windows XP you have the basic, but very good Movie Maker. Only being on SP1 you might be unlucky and only be on version 1 of MM, and version 2 is now only available as part of SP2. Prior to SP2 being released MM2 could be downloaded on its own, so you might be lucky. Although very easy to use you may find it helpful to read up on MM2 Here.
    MM2 although good for capture & editing will not be able to burn a DVD, or even a VCD. Therefore you need additional authoring software. If unhappy with Nero I can also recommend software from Ulead. I use DVD MovieFactory for all my DVD authoring and find it very easy to use, with very good results.

Mark.

4. burtonjunky

burtonjunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a firewire cable last night and started looking into the software you've suggested. I do only have version 1 of MM, I'm considering upgrading to SP2 so I can get version 2.

I'll give the firewire cable a try tomorrow and will post my results. Thanks to you both for your assistance, I truly appreciate your suggestions.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    That's what we're here for :thumbsup: , although my manager might disagree with that statement :devil:

Mark.

6. burtonjunky

burtonjunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I got my firewire cable today and downloaded SP2 along with the newest version of Windows Movie Maker, and the video quality has improved by leaps and bounds. But...it still isn't the dvd quality I'm looking for, and now I think that's probably due to the settings i'm using on capture. I captured some video using the Video Capture Wizard: Sony DV Device with a setting of "Other Settings" "High Quality Video (NTSC) which has a file type of Windows Media Video, Variable bit rate, display size of 720x480, and 30 frames per second.

Any suggestions?

7. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In your first post you say you 'closed all other programs'. How did you do this? There's a program, EnditAll2 that Mark sent me, that really does close everything. You are advised to physically disconnect your internet cable if on broadband as it closes all of your virus software too. This is the best way though to ensure your PC is dedicated to DV editing only.
    When you restart your PC everything is started again. If you don't have this program already, PM me or Mark (If that's ok Marky :devil: ) and we'll be glad to send it to you. :smashin:

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hey Brum, I've sent it to loads of people already, so one more wont make much difference to me :smashin:

The only format you should be captureing to get 100% quality from the cam is AVI. WMV is a highly compressed format and therefore going to be lower quality. Also worth noting that video will never look great on a PC monitor, but once the DVD is played on a TV I think you will be pleased with the results.

Mark.