1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

poor quality AVI

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dan76n, Oct 12, 2003.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, Im getting closer to home movies on disk but i still seem to be getting poor quality AVI files, i know Quality isnt meant to be top notch on pc but im far from the quality i get when watching on pc without capturing. any advise

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Are these poor quality .avi's captured from digital or from analogue ?

3. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DIGITAL

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Digital should just be a bit for bit transfer so quality shouldn't be worse.

Have you tried capturing back to tape that which you have captured & ensuring it's OK then ?

5. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As long as you're capturing to PC and transferring back to the DV camera with the FireWire / iLink cable you shouldn't have any visible loss in quality.

However if you use the S-Video or Composite Video (analogue) connections to connect to DV camera your video capture card, expect some loss in quality.

I think USB video transfer is low resolution too, on cameras that support it?

Finally your PC's speed, video card, amount of RAM, hard disk speed etc. will affect the smoothness of playback on the monitor (frames per second).
    Some video cards are pretty useless when it comes to showing real-time video when you're editing.

Also remember your PC monitor is a progressive scan (non-interlaced) display whereas the footage from your camera is interlaced so it won't be as smooth as on a TV screen.