Poor quality 4k blu rays

flotmangooner

Standard Member
Recently purchased an 8k QLED Samsung - I have had it professionally calibrated and in general the picture quality is excellent. Especially on Netflix 4k content. Coupleof my Xmas presents were Saving Private Ryan and No Time to Die on 4k blu ray.
When I watched SPR I was so disappointed with the picture quality - when a scene had the sky in it, the sky appeared very grainy - it wasn't clear blue or pure white - it had what I can best describe as a grainy effect - like black/grey interference.
The same applied to Bond. I used a Panasonic 4k player and have 8k certified hdmi cable from the player to the Samsung one connect box.
Now when I played both discs on my 6 year old Sony 4k oled through an xbox one x, the picture quality was stunning - exactly what I was expecting on my 8k tv. In fact I was expecting the quality on my 8k to be stunning considering Samsungs claim to upscale everything to 8k.
I'm at a loss as to why the quality was so poor considering the TV has been calibrated. I know there isn't a fault with the TV because 4k Netflix is stunning so maybe there is a setting that I need to tweak that I'm unaware of. Or could it be the 8k hdmi cable that is causing the poor picture quality. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

buddy777

I have a Panasonic 4k oled tv with excellent pictures. on everything except 4k blu ray discs.I have found on almost all discs the pictures are much darker than the blu ray versions, so much so I now only play the the BR versions of all films.

buddy777

I have a Panasonic 4k oled tv with excellent pictures. on everything except 4k blu ray discs.I have found on almost all discs the pictures are much darker than the blu ray versions, so much so I now only play the the BR versions of all films.

flotmangooner

Standard Member
Hi
Thanks for your reply. That's interesting what you say. I'll watch the BR versions and see what they are like in comparison to the 4k

buddy777

Let me know if you come to the same conclusion as I di.As a matter of interest ik had a Samsung 65 8k tv before this one with fine pictures (except 4k discs}
But I could not take to the social dimming which affected all blue ray discs

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom