Poor Picture

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Superhoops, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all
    I have been with Virgin since last November. Ever since then I have been very unhappy with the picture. I have V+ and a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV.
    Admittedly the picture is better but far from perfect if I move back further from it. I understand the ideal viewing distances with the larger screen but I have seen others large tv's and they don't get the same ghosting or perhaps I could describe it as a film over the picture.
    My father has a 42" tv and Freeview and I could put my face right up to the screen and still get a good picture.
    The Samsung tv was bought to replace a 32" bulky crt. I had standard sky and then sky plus with that tv and I can say that the picture was superior on the old tv.
    Is this normal? Cheers for any responses

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Whoops Edit:- Hi welcome to AVforums

This is not at all normal! SD from the V+ on the higher bitrate SD channels is usually far better than their freeview counterparts.

How is the V+ connected to the LCD? If HDMI are you using 720p or 1080i? Are you using "wide" ?

Have you an aerial - if so what does your TV look like on Freeview?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

The v+ is connected by the hdmi cable that the installer gave me.
    I am using 1080 wide. I have tried all the settings to be honest and can't get an improvement.

BBC HD is a lot better (just tried watching the elephants and they look fine!)
    Unfortunately where I live, Leighton Buzzard there is no freeview reception and even getting terrestrial off the aerial is a waste of time.

If I sit back as far as I can, which is approx 11ft the "ghosting" is evident but if you go any closer it can be quite bad. Strangely enough it seems worse some times than others.

4. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just tried The Weakest Link on Catchup and that appears to have square blocks on it - not horrendously but still noticeable

5. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Firstly please turn off "wide" Pictures will then be presented as intended not stretched or distorted to fill the screen. 16:9 pictures will then still be presented in full widescreen.

You do not say which model your TV is so am not sure whether it is 1920x1080 or 1366x768? If the latter I think 720p is the better choice.

Try turning down the sharpness control on your TV - sharpening an already sharp picture can produce some weird outline effects.

However if you are getting some blocking then it may be that the signal on your cable is low or you have a poor connection somewhere - phone 151 and book a service call.

As you will see from the posts of many members on this forum upscaled SD pictures from a V+ box should please if not amaze you. I and many others do not get any "ghosting" or similar effects.

6. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I, like most Virgin+ viewers, am very pleased with the SD pictures.
    What you describe can only be some fault with your input.
    Call Virgin. They are quite helpful, believe it or not.

7. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi my tv is Buy SAMSUNG LE40A557P2FXXU | Digital 40 - Televisions | Comet
    It is 1920 x 1080. I tried turning the sharpness down on the tv before and it didn't make any difference. I have turned off the wide setting and now is just 1080.
    It sounds as though I should call out an engineer to have a look. Thanks for your help.

8. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    when you say turn off wide, do you mean set HDMI to 720 or 1080 not 720 wide or 1080 wide on V+ box

9. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I turned off 1080 wide so it is now just 1080 but now half of my sons childrens programs only occupy half of the screen. Still haven't rang virgin about the picture, must get on and do it

10. muttley1969

muttley1969
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got a similar picture problem with my setup. When I first got my new TV, it was fine whilst using an old standard telewest box (for a non HD or upscaled SD source anyway), then the picture started going down hill in a big way last November. I wanted to upgrade anyway so a V+ box was fitted early January which didn't improve the picture. The guy who plugged the new box in agreed the picture was well below standard and said I needed a new cable pulled into my home, this was booked in but the guy who turned up a week later said the first guy was talking rubbish and that the poor picture is due to a poor quality signal being sent down the line by VM and that this was currently their biggest received complaint regarding the V+ box and HD TV's - he couldn't give an answer when I told him the picture was previously fine for six months prior to November using a 8year old Telewest box. Another 3 complaints later and with, so far, no luck in getting it resolved they are finally sending another engineer out next Tuesday. It will probably just end up more wasted time off work waited for the guy to turn up.
    Thing that gets me is that it has moments when the picture goes good and then poor again whilst watching the same program.

11. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Normally, those 'blocks' happen before it even gets to your house, that is related to mpg compression. For example water or fire can look horrific these days on lower quality digital channels

12. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Absurd - This will make no difference to his problem

It is *your* personal preference and you should not visit *your* preferences on others - especially when you do it under the disguise of help to which you know it will not make the slightest difference

you might as well as ask him to watch it wearing an Everton shirt

Outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it makes no difference!!!

switch wide back on (if thats *your* preference)

as mentioned you need to get VM out to your box/installation - they're pretty good/fast now

the picture from V+ should be sparkling and certainly no ghosting on any channels - you could also try a new HDMI cable

13. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that. I have a virgin engineer coming tomorrow afternoon. Will post back with hopefully good news.

14. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    My V+ pictures for most channels looks better with my 40 inch sony than what my sky hd did. if your not got a faulty box then it may be the tv or the connections to it.

15. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I resent your attitude! For the record if watching a non 16:9 channel using the wide setting it stretches the picture to fit and makes it distorted. It introduces artefacting because of the stretching and distortion which may be being interpreted by the OP as "poor picture". Turning it off at least removes this factor in the discussion. OK if it isn't a factor and he likes this mode he is perfectly free to do so, although it beats me why anybody should use this mode. If people do want to fill their screens then they are still better off using "non wide" as then they can use the several different options that most widescreen LCD's and Plasmas offer to suit there personal preference rather than the horrendous V+ solution.

I think your response to my post is way OTT and therefore outrageous also. Perhaps the Op is an Everton supporter in which case he is quite happy.!:D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  16. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just for the record my username is the nickname of QPR who I have been following since a child. Everton?????? urggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! (No offence to Everton supporters!!)

17. justbiteme2k

justbiteme2k
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been following this thread as my VM HD box suffers in a similar manner.
    For me, switching from '1080 wide' to '720 wide' made a huge difference (even though i have a 1080p tv)

One way i figured out it was my settings rather then VMs signal was because the menu rectangles which show up also looked rubbish.... these aren't broadcast but are generated from the box so if they're rubbish it cannot be (solely) the signal errors.

18. PRODIGY8

PRODIGY8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Mine seems to look better on 720p as well, my TV is 1080p also.

19. justbiteme2k

justbiteme2k
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would guess our TV's are better at upscaling a feed than the stuff in the VM box.
    The HD signals aren't broadcast in 1080 so someone has to be doing the scaling... TV or box.. pick whichever is best for your set up.

One thing many people forget is to check the firmware on their TVs... go to the manufacturers web site, an update might make a difference.
    My Samsung TV gets firmware updates over the airwaves (somehow).

20. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thank the lord I thought you were a Celtic fan!!:eek:

21. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, definately Rangers, just not your one, mine is the better one:thumbsup:

22. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Virgin engineer came this afternoon. He reduced the signal (?) and changed the HDMI cable and now the picture is good. Hurray!!!
    Thanks all for your replies.

23. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Or possibly that the V+ is better at deinterlacing than your TV ;)

FYI, all HD programmes in the UK are broadcast at 1080i. If you're selecting 720p on the V+, then the V+ is downscaling & deinterlacing the feed before your TV upscales it again.

Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

24. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ben

25. justbiteme2k

justbiteme2k
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So anyone know what "reducing the signal" (i presume it's not throwing in an attenuator) means and did he say what was wrong with your HDMI cable that they supplied?

26. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Very pleased to hear of the positive outcome.

For the record as this thread has raised some seperate issues today can I list my reasons for using 1080i on my 1080x1920 LCD.

On HD I cannot see the difference between 720p and 1080i even though all HD is broadcast or sent from VOD as 1080i. On SD however I can definitely say that the 1080i looks better. Some people find however that the menus/epg look better at 720p - I can see no difference.

Since it is the upscaled SD for which the V+ box is renowned I think that the upscaler in the V+ is actually better than that in most TV's.

27. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Justbiteme2k. He said that sometimes turning the signal down can give a better picture. Other than that I dont understand! I got the impression that he thought the new cable was the main cure. He didnt say what was wrong with the original cable.

28. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Or as I call them the Wee English Rangers!!:D

29. PRODIGY8

PRODIGY8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yeah I think the menus look better at 720p, 1080i seem to be out of focus/blurry not sure how else to put it! I have had 2 different TVs since having this box and both the menus looked like this when the V+ was set to 1080i. My old TV was HD ready. As opposed to the 1080p one I have now

Think I may try 1080i again. If the box has to down scale, de interlace and then my TV upscale Im sure some quality is gonna be lost?

30. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've had this issue and i think it's to do with the very close proximity of the station - mine's right outside my house