1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor picture - Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bigtired, Nov 20, 2003.

1. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have had Sky + installed - very unhappy with picture quality - not as good as the 'old' box I had. I have had the box replaced where it slightly improved the picture, but still not as good as the 'old' The problem is difficult to describe - but will try. Best way to describe it is faint background sparkling/shimmering. The clear definition is not there. The picture is more noticable when I 'pipe' ot upstairs using the spare RF outlet. This was never a problem with the 'old' box. I was not impressed with either Sky engineer. I want to upgrade my TV but am reluctant at present due to the picture. I have even disconnected the TV aerial thinking it might be some RF clash but this made no different.

Any suggestions what the problem might be?

Regards

Justin

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Other people have reported PQ issues when they have upgraded to SKY+ from other makes of digibox (Mostly Panasonic) and others have seen a definite "Out of focus" effect on some parts of the screen which I believe has been acknowledged by PACE.

If you are not happy then you are entitled to a full refund and if the problems with PQ are subjective based on the previous digibox you may never be happy. If it is the "blurry" problem then that should be fixed but you might still want to get a refund and wait a few months instead of putting up with it.

3. Biamp

Biamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a similar problem with my Sky+V2 box - blurred areas accross the screen about 1/4 up and 1/4 down. This has type of problem has been the subject of posts on the Digital Spy Forums. I reported the matter to Sky - their engineer tried another brand new box but no different. I switched back to my Sony box - picture OK with no blurring. The engineer suggested a software problem probably present on all the V2 boxes - but especially noticeable on a large screen ( I have a Pioneer 43" plasma ).
    I then wrote to Pace for their comments and quote their reply:

"When a problem is found it is Sky who decides on the rectifying action if there is to be any. So for example if a bug is found in the software and Sky deem it a problem and it is in part of the software which is supplied by Pace ( Please note Sky produce much of the software themselves ) they instruct Pace to fix the problem. When the fix is complete the software is supplied back to Sky, at this stage Sky can decide to download the software to all boxes in the field immeadiately or as they normally do wait until the next scheduled download and add the fix to that.
    Now getting back to your letter, I recognise the problem you have reported and it has been addressed so Sky will correct this problem in a future download, but I can not provide any information on when this is likely to be."

As yet I have had no response from Sky - in due course I will send them a copy of the Pace letter for their comments. I think it might be helpful if anyone who recognises this problem writes to Sky in the hope that the fix will be issued sooner rather than later

4. mariosambucci

mariosambucci

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture problems from sky+ machines Pace pvr1 and2. Seem to be only apparent with plasma screens. I am an Aerial and Satellite engineer of many years now, and do a great deal of contract work for sky. I have visited many people with the same problem, and as yet there is no fix. Software could be a factor I agree, but I feel sure Sky would download the new software now as they are having to make so many service calls. A new sky+ box made by Thompson is now availabe, very nice looking box too. About the size of an Amstrad DRX 400. if the problem is still apparent with the new box, then it can only be software.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Is that the actually Amstrad badged SKY+ that has been confirmed or has SKY done a seperate deal with Thomson to manufacture units?
    Link to more info would be appreciated:)

6. mariosambucci

mariosambucci

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Justin, my first thought is did the installer use a scart lead to connect TV scart from digi box to AV1 of your television, if not do so. Remember to use a scart lead that has all the pins Go to services select 4 setup, select picture settings, scroll down to PAL and use right arrow to select RGB. Remember to scroll down and press select to save settings.
    I hope this solves your problem.