• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Poor picture quality

andrew4178

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a new 42" plasma made by Panasonic. The image on screen is poor quality, it looks blocky even from a distance. I do not believe that it has anything to do the tv as dvd's and my PS3 look great.

Is it a Sky problem or a cabling problem? I have sky + connected to the tv by a scart lead. The problem is most profound when i am watching football.

I have checked the Sky signal strength through the services button and the signal bar is 80% full.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

MAW

Banned
Check sky settings, picture set to 16:9 and RGB output. Get screen off 'dynamic' mode and choose 'cinema'. Use a decent scart lead, no need to go OTT.

andrew4178

Standard Member
It appears to be on both, the problem definately looks worse during a fllodlit game or on Setanta at any time. (Am i watching too much football) the problem was there on my old CRT TV and i never thought anything of it now i have a bigger TV the problem is bigger.

paul_round

The 'blockiness' you are describing is compression and is a fact of life with digital TV. It will be worse on a picture that has more detail, movement and lighting changes, football being particularly bad.

andrew4178

Standard Member
if it is a compression problem is there anything i can do? my friend lives in a different part of the country and has the 50"version of the same tv. i was round there at christmas and his picture was great.

Speedoguy

It appears to be on both, the problem definately looks worse during a fllodlit game or on Setanta at any time. (Am i watching too much football) the problem was there on my old CRT TV and i never thought anything of it now i have a bigger TV the problem is bigger.

Setanta is a joke - for a station promoting live football it really should sort its quality of coverage.It looks pants as you say even on a CRT with pixelating and blockiness affecting the picture (I watch it on a 26"crt)
Don't have on my SKY/plasma set up as know what it would look like.:thumbsdow

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
if it is a compression problem is there anything i can do? my friend lives in a different part of the country and has the 50"version of the same tv. i was round there at christmas and his picture was great.

There's no reason it should look worse on yours. Does he have the same Sky box as you?

Bumtious

Banned
Firstly, Sky broadcasts from its sd chanels is now pants,

In fact have not seen an sd box for a while and since they have changed thier compression methods the picture has really tailed off. Football is particually bad with ITV being unwatchable and Setanta is not far behind.

The HD boxes really do seem to be better with their SD output but with a nice shiny new TV Sky hd is worth the investment IMHO especially if you watch football.

The other advice re settings is also a good one, get it out of dynamic.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom