poor picture quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gino555, Apr 24, 2005.

1. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i have just connected my sky + to my LG plasma screen but the picture quality seems poor especially on fast moving pictures and on peoples faces yet when i put a dvd on everything is fine i am using a s video lead is there any other way i can improve picture quality?

Gino555

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,308
    This is down to the amount of compression Sky use in order to squeeze more channels in to the available space........and the bitrate used.....some channels are transmitted using a higher bitrate than others and you will find these channels give a better pic.
    DVD's aren't compressed to the same extent and you will get the best pic quality possible from your plasma when playing a DVD.

3. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It only gets worse the bigger the screen you use too. Most Sky stuff on my PJ screen (7 ') looks pretty poor, especially compared to DVDs. HDTV can't come soon enough IMHO.

4. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    doh wish now i had bought a hdtv ready screen!!!!!
    is there nothing i can do to improve the quality may be better leads?

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Gino

it actually isnt a problem with your Sky box or the Sky broadcasts..it is all down to the quality of your display, and also the quality of the connections to your display.

how is your DVD connected?

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,308
    If you read Gino555's description of the symptoms you will see classic symptoms of low bitrate and compression :lesson:
    Nothing to do with how it's connected.

7. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    have you tried connecting sky to the plasma via RGB? it wont help with the fast movement problems but it may give you a better all round picture

8. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi JayCee

well I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I am assuming that he isnt just talking about the obscure low bit rate channels, but the main channels.

What he is seeing are a combination of poor video processing and the quirks of digital panels. If you were to look at the same image on a conventional CRT TV, then you wouldnt see the problems, therefore it is not the source that is the problem.

a well set up Sky feed in to a plasma or projector can look comparable to DVD.

Gino,
    As Clive mentioned, first and cheapest thing is to try RGB assuming your display supports it.

9. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hello,

Sorry David, but have to disagree as well. I have a pioneer 434HDE connected via Chord scart (RGB). Equipment is all connected through an Isotek substation.

PQ on Sky, even on the main channels is poor when blowed up to over 43". DVD obviously is excellent via HDMI. It cannot be a fault of the display. It is definitely an issue with compression. In December, Sky1 broadcast with a high bitrate for a while and even I started to watch it. The PQ was far far superior (equivalent to DVD). Sure enough, after people complained that their HD's were filling to quickly they reverted back to the soft, mushy low bit-rate rubbish that we get now.

10. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Robertt

I dont know about Sky 1, never watch it. However, on the main channels, with the right equipment (e.g. good quality connections, digital if possible, a high quality video processing solution and a good display) then it can look fantastic even on front projection systems.

11. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, David Plugged In, Sky is good quality, but comparable to dvd... maybe through a scaler but even then, the high amounts of compression required to pipe the information to your stb means it quite simply cant compare. The symptons gino is describing is to do with the compression on the channels... hence the problems with fast moving scenes, that isn't going to change if he uses a higher quality cable. if it was outputted through RGB and thus the 3 main spectrum colours are seperatd instead of being piped through a solution which only seperates chroma and luminescence then obviously picture defenition etc. would be improved. But the point still stands that this is to do with compression, not cables.

12. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Agree that through a scaler and using an SDI modded box PQ will be far superior, but the point is why should we?? Sky PQ has the potential to look as good as DVD. The reason it doesn't is pure and simple the level of compression on the channels + the often dire NTSC to PAL transfers of US shows. (but thats another story!)

Roll on Hi-def and then hopefully we shall have a picture that does justice to all our large flat panel screens without having to resort to spending thousand (s) on scalers and the like......

13. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ok, don't *really* want to get in to a big debate about this..but, the facts
    are that gino hasn't said what channel he was describing, or how he has
    setup his screen. Therefore, he may have been watching
    'gambling-bid-up-shop-tv' or whatever, which is low bit rate and horrible
    regardless of what you do with it.

my point, and I will say it one last time :) is that there is a common
    misconception, particularly amongst people that have seen digital TV on flat
    panel displays, that it is Sky that is fundamentally poor quality, and that
    the panel is revealing that the broadcast itself is poor. My point is that
    digital flat panel displays are more difficult to get a good picture out of
    SD digital TV, and therefore what you are seeing may not be what was
    delivered by the STB, but instead a D->A->A->D with a bunch of 'picture
    enhancement' modes, which often introduce 'smearing' as described.
    Similarly, any projector is going to reveal any weaknesses in the quality of
    the video and again is therefore sensitive to the quality of the video
    processing.
    Take a walk around any department store and even with the worst possible TV
    feeds you can often see that the flat panel screens look worse than the
    CRTs. in the default 'out-of-the-box' setup. Of course nobody is denying
    that Sky as a commercial venture shares allocates bandwidth as it sees fit -
    again look how good some of the adverts look - some are pretty stunning in
    terms of PQ.

So, to summarise, the low channels will always look bad, and if that is what
    you watch then there is nothing that can be done..If your viewing habits are
    primarily the main channels then you can improve things with an optimised
    setup.

hope this helps

14. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have to say that I am with David on this one!!

It is in some part down to the display and also in other parts down to the means of connection.

i had A Hitachi Plasma that was awful with Sky( especially on fast moving pictures, football etc). I upgraded the Scart cable, no joy!! I got a JS rgb to YUV converter box, definate improvement in pictuire quality but still problems with fast moving pictures ( again Sport mainly).

Replaced the Hitachi with a Panasonic PWD6 and used the JS converter and the same cables and the picture quality is superb( not dvd quality but very good) on all the main sky channels and acceptable on the lower bitrate channels.

What this shows is that getting the correct input for your display will result in the best picture output.

So maybe worth doing a search on JS RGB to VGA or YUV boxes when used with your display. They seem to be the most widely used means of connecting sky to a plasma on these forums different makes are better with either VGA or YUV.

And yes good cables do make a difference, but they are not the answer!!

will SDI & a Scaler make a difference, I dont know as I havent seen them setup yet, but its on my list of things to investigate when funds allow. Also the folks who have had there screens ISF calibrated all say that they have better PQ on all inputs!! May also be worth investigating

Have fun

Chris

15. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry new to all this currently have Sky + connected to tv(28" Tosh CRT) via scart lead (not a good one) and sound via optical lead.I'm getting new tv 46" Tosh so how should I connect and what is the RS232 for?

16. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would use a RGB scart cable, however if your new set does not have provision for this use an RGB - Component (YUV) converter available from keene electronics, the RS - 232 connector is not a visual connector instead it is designed for factory testing but can be used as a computer control interface.