poor picture quality sky+

eddiewww

Established Member
Reaction score
well to be fair it is only on certain things...but when you spot it it's hard not to focus on it constantly !!

football .... it may be the monitor..panasoni 42 pw5 plasma .. but the large areas of green show up really pixelated and digitised... also on flesh tones...when there is a close up..things like soaps or whatever are really bad..but again the picture is really patchy... watchable i suppose, but could do better.

i saw what amount to a scan doubler at http://www.keene.co.uk/system/keene.htm (order code : PROV )has anybody tried this bit of kit out yet ?? or have any other solutions...

i just bought a whole new set up ..the screen and a meridian theatre...and i'm having problems with that also!

still...i'm sure it will all be worth it in the end !

eddie.......

Which connection are you using between Sky+ and your plasma?

There are loads of people on the forum who have a ProV. Do a search for more details.

Originally posted by eddiewww
thanks i'll do the search..

i have tried all the inputs...S Video (never my favourite !) i have a couple of convertors from http://www.rgbtosvideo.com and feed the RGB scart from the box thru the convertor and into either the PC input or the RGBHV...

OK. Since you've already tried some of the interconnect gadgets out there with less than successful results, then it's probably time to move your enquiry over to the experts on either the Plasma or Video Processing forums. Perhaps try Plasma first, since there are bound to be plenty of plasma owners who have connected Sky+ to their panels. In fact, I've read two threads on this very issue in the last couple of days.

AFAIK this happens with all Sky transmissions.
IMO Sky are broadcasting too many channels and too much additional info with things like Sky Active for the transponders to cope with. So Sky transmit very poor quality MPEG to reduce channel bandwidth.
This is something that I find really annoying. Digital TV was promised to be the equivalent of the move from analogue audio to CD, however, it's more like the quality of streamed internet radio! What's the point in Sky broadcasting hundreds of barely watched channels at the expensive of the bandwidth of the 'main' channels. You'd think that they'd ensure at least Sky 1 was high bandwidth - but it's not. For example, a programme like the Simpsons which has a low number of colours and large areas of the same colour, you'd expect to see in pefect clarity with no artefacts and pixelation. However watch an episode of the Simpsons on Sky and the picture quality is poor with very distracting pixelation especially during scene cuts. If you have Sky+ try pausing the picture when one scene cuts to another - you'll see what could be described as a very poor quality JPEG image with appalling blockiness.
I'm planning to buy a plasma screen in the near future, and what worries me is that if I can spot the pixelation on a 28" CRT then I'm going to be extremely distracting on a 60" plasma.
What can be done to make Sky improve the picture quality to that we expect???
What makes it worse is that $ky are increasing subscriptions and quality isn't improving.

Simon

Originally posted by Simon Coates

What can be done to make Sky improve the picture quality to that we expect???
What makes it worse is that $ky are increasing subscriptions and quality isn't improving.

Simon

SKY have ZERO control on the picture quality and transponder capacity of the non SKY branded channels.
The BBC and ITV for example buy their transponder capacity direct from SES and I believe the Film4 family of channels have capacity from Eutelsat, each channel/broadcaster decides how much to spend on bandwidth and then what to use it for.
If you have a problem you should direct any correspondence to the channel in question or maybe to OFCOM.

Personally I have had very few problems with picture quality during the 4 years I have had SKY D(Sony 41" RPTV_50hz), yes some channels are run at very low bitrates and the transcoding of NTSC material doesn't help matters and the scene fading in The Simpsons does show how weak real time mpegII encoding can be but expecting DVD quality encoding is goign too far:)

could a moderator move this to the plasma section please....

PS i have ordered a PROV...lets see if that makes any difference !!
thanks

eddie....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom