Poor picture quality on a Toshiba Tdp-mt200

Tiesto

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all :) , recently bought a Toshiba Tdp-mt200 and a 2m Sapphire r/c screen.
The problem i have is the picture quality when watching a football match, whether on satellite or terrestrial the green of the pitch and the outline of players is fuzzy, from a panned out camera angle, close ups are excellent.
I have the projector connected via the best quality s video cable (10 metre length ? )through my Panasonic dmre50 and a dm7000s dreambox as its the best connection i can have with my current setup.
The question is would i notice an improvement if i bought a new dvdr that had component out .?or is this all about the broadcaster transmitting a poor signal.
I'm very impressed with it as a movie projector but too embarrased to let the lads come round to watch the match on it.
Any advice to a projector virgin is mucho appreciated :thumbsup:

Hi Tiesto,

I am a little confused about your current set up, is everything connected via S-Video? If so, you will notice a vast improvement with a switch over to component. However, your problems with football matches is due to a combination of various factors:

Firstly, I suspect your set up is actually using composite level signals for television, whereby the output from the Sky box is fed into your DVDR at a composite level, thus any image displayed on your projector will be no better than composite, even though it is sent over the S-Video connection. (I have assumed you are using your DVDR as an AV switching hub).

Secondly, I am afraid to say this is mainly to do with broadcasters opting for quantity rather than quality, with too many channels allocated to a particular multiplexed bandwidth. When digital television first started, channels were allocated bandwidth according to the type of channel, (more bandwidth is required for sport than news), and whether it was a premium channel (people pay more for the service therefore expect better quality). Unfortunately with so many new junk channels on sky, the extra bandwidth previously allocated to the more demanding channels has been reduced to accommodate these extra services (MPEG encoding is not good enough to compensate reduced bandwidth efficiently).

I would suggest you get Sky+ and connect this up to the projector via S-Video, and buy a new DVD with Component / Digital outputs. This will improve your viewing by eliminating any artefacts caused by composite signals, however, you will still be at the mercy of MPEG encoding.

Hope this helps.

BTW. I also have the MT200.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom