1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

poor picture on sky + 2nd, 3rd room etc

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by keswickboy, Jan 6, 2005.

1. keswickboy

keswickboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I have sky + connected to a JVC TV

I also have sky running to another 4 TV's. 2 of which have magic eyes.

I have a 4 way ariel amplifier where the antenna cable goes in, which has coaxial cable linking to another 4 way power amplifier which i bought to allow me to use the sky magic eyes which i understand need 9 volts. RF output on sky + goes into the power amp

Currently I have sub standard picture on my main TV, and good / bad on the others.

I need help in which way these should be connected to get the best picture in my lounge and prioritise which TV's get the best picture thereafter. Also, do you think it is impossible for all TV's to get a decent picture using the current kit or do I need something else to improve it?

many thanks in advance

2. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I used to have a very similar problem with bad T.V. signal in the 4 other rooms where SKY was sent and I eventually decided to go for a 4 way loftbox amplifier from tvlink:
    http://www.tvlink.co.uk/loftbox.htm
    It has since given me a fantastic picture on every T.V. and I also got the bonus of having FM radio signal sent down to the lounge for my stereo too.

From what I understand it uses diplexed wall plates and as long as you've got 2 co-ax cables going to your lounge then its pretty easy to install.

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sky outputs on a RF number and if this RF number is close to one used by your existing tv channels and vcr, interference and a poorer picture is the result. I think you need to check what your tv channels are broadcasting on and then move Sky's RF number to one with some distance away from a tv channel.

I have done this a couple of times, notably when my booster/distributor was sending a poor Sky signal round the house and last night when my son's new tv was experiencing wavy lines only on the Sky channel.

You need to go into the engineer's menu. You do this by going into the service menu, select 4, then 0 and 1 then select. This should bring up the engineer's menu. You will see a RF output go on that and enter another number away from existing channel numbers and then save, back up and return to Sky. This should hopefully solve your problem.

4. keswickboy

keswickboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for help guys, i'll give the rf number change a try and if no joy look at the loft box solution. (Just dont fancy re-cabling all rooms again from loft!)

many thanks!

5. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

6. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Thats a good point, just thought I'd add that there is a rule for which 'channels' are good and bad. IIRC you need to skip 1, 3 & 7 after one thats already chosen so if 30 is used for one then don't use 31, 33 or 37 (I think!).