1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor picture from RGB signal on Pace NTL Box

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by mwhorley, Oct 1, 2002.

1. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using NTL cable for several months now and still have not got to the bottom of an annoying problem.

If I set the signal output to be RGB on the Pace box and connect it to AV1 on my Philips Pw28006 the picture is far from sharp although still watchable. If I connect to AV2 the picture improves but is still not RGB quality. AV2 doesn't support RGB though and I need that scart socket for my SVHS video (AV1 doesn't support SVHS)

Changing the output to composite gives me the same quality of picture on both scarts but obviously not up to working RGB quality.

Has anyone come across anything similar, obviously the planks at NTL wont have a clue what's going on here and i'll have all on to get the engineer out to look at it.

Is there a solution to this or is this a known problem with PACE NTL boxes ?

The cables are full pinned Gold Scarts.

Any help or views greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I run NTL Digital RGB into my Tosh 36ZP18 via AV1 and can instantly see a change in detail of the setup menu background when you flick from RGB to composite and back etc.

I presume that your TV is auto sensing and that you don't have to advise the TV of the RGB signal in etc.

I guess you may have a faulty set top box.

I do however recall that when Nynex was taken over by NTL and then the digital service came out be got our cable "upgraded to a bigger one" due to the distance we are from the local splitter / terminal.

Any chance of one of the neighbours lending you their box for 1/2 an hour to compare the picture etc.

Regards

Chris L.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you scart leads rgb scart leads

4. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The cables are full pinned Gold Scarts." - yep i've used them for my DVD player with RGB output set and the picture is perfect through AV1.

It would appear the issue is with either the Pace Box or the cable signal.

5. jon1800

jon1800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be the the signal length, damaged cable or amp problem but i doubt it.
    Maybe a faulty box or parameters need stetting up.
    Is your TV registering NTL throught the AV1/2?

Have you tried another TV, even a portable?

jon

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my Pace DTTV box, if I set the output to RGB and plug it into a non-RGB capable scart, the Pace automatically outputs the next highest signal that the scart can take.

I suspect that your Pace box is doing the same thing.

Therefore, it looks like when you plug it into AV2 you are actually watching S-Video output, even though you have set it to output RGB.

This would explain why it is a bit clearer than RGB on your Philips (there have been problems reported concerning RGB input on the PW6006).

7. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar probem, this time connecting my Tosh DVD to the RGB socket on a Philips TV. In RGB in is very dark & I have to switch to composite video. In S-video on Ext 2 the difference between s-video & composoite is indistinguisable. Is it a Philips scart issue ?