1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor NTL pic on Hitachi plasma - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Hiran, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I NEED URGENT HELP PLEASE!!! I recently bought a Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma screen for my mother and connected it to my ntl digibox using RGB scart. When i viewed the NTL pictures on the large screen I was extremely disappointed. Several of the channels were of very bad picture quality. There was a lot of fizzing over movement and poor clarity and sharpness in any movement pics. There was pixel movement as well and gave the picture a very noisy appearance. Is this because of the poor quality source from the NTL box which is breing shown up on my high resolution screen? The same source was fine on my old 32inch CRT screen - but there again this screen is not capable of picking up these flaws.
    The worst pics are when watching footy on skysports. The players all have a ghostly shadow as they move?!?! making the tv viewing very unsatisfing.

There is nothing wrong with the plasma screen. When connected to the DVD using component outputs, the pictures are immaculate quality.

Has anyone come across the same problems? if so how did you rectify them?

Its sad to know that my mum has spent so much on a top notch expensive plasma using the best quality scart leads that money can buy and then find that the pictures from NTL are so poor. She may as well get her old tv out!! PLEASE HELP!!

Do you think I would get better pics with SKY digital? what can NTL do?

I shall look forward to any help offered with many grateful thanks.

Hiran

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Silly question but I presume that you have set the output of the ntl digital set top box to RGB from composite and to 16:9 from 4:3?

[​IMG]

Go to settings, then video settings and they are down the bottom. Well they are on the Langley platform... not too sure about Bromley format regions.

From your description it sounds like the STB is feeding your mum's Hitachi plasma a composite video signal which will look as crap as the pictures that you have described.

S.

3. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I will have to try doing that to the NTL set box. Unfortunately I dont get to see the tv at my mums house till the weekend!! One thing i do remember however is the signal should be RGB coming from the NTL box as the output does say RGB on the plasma screen (using AV1 to connect scart to scart on NTL box).
    The pics can be decent on some channels but mostly poor as described in my original msg. I have read that using a RGB to component converter can help?? Any advice on this? I have called out a NTL engineer to look at the box tomorrow.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    It could be the box is getting a weak signal and this will degrade the picture quality. The engineer will be able to check this.

I have read that getting good picture quality via cable can be a bit like playing russian roulette. If your mum lives in a street where there are many cable customers the signal can get a bit ropey as everyone has to share the feed. If on the other hand you live in a street where there are few cable customers the picture can be quite good as the main feed isn't spread so thinly. That's my understanding of it at least. Luckily I'm very happy with my ntl picture quality. Good luck in getting your mum sorted. :)

S.

5. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: cheers mate for your very kind and useful help. I agree with what you have said and was thinking of changing to Sky if NTL engineer fails to solve problem. I think the whole street where my mum lives has got NTL making the signal very weak. Will moving to SKY help to improve pic quality on plasma?

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    It is interesting to note the variable picture quality on the same channel on cable. Sky One was a contrast between v. good and bloody awful, the awful being their regular 4:3 older programming (Star Trek, next gen), the good being one of their premier shows at peak time in widescreen (Law and Order). This is an issue at source and while an engineer may be able to optimise Cables performance, as we all know garbage in results in garbage out.