poor LFE with DTS

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by j0hn_r, Jul 7, 2002.

1. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure which area to post this under,,,

I've just been playing around with DTS and DD while watching Gladiator. I've found that when I switch to DTS nearly all the LFE's disappear, even turning the sub volume right up its almost unnoticable. With DD the sub on full tilt rattles the windows.

Is this normal ?, is there a reason for it?

I use the following kit

Arcam avr100 (all speakers set to large)
    Arcam dv88
    PMC's
    JBL sub

2. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't people say DTS has more LFE? Like 20% more?

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should be exactly the same, all things being equal.

There were some instances where the LFE level of the DTS track on some DVDs was mixed incorrectly (too high), and this gave the impression of DTS being somehow more dynamic - but Dolby cottoned on to this.
    It has to be said though, despite the conspiracy theorists, there was no evidence to suggest that this was done deliberately by DTS (at least none that I read about).

Gladiator sounds pretty similar in both DD and DTS on my setup Perhaps DTS just, and I mean just, edges it from DD by being ever so slightly more atmospheric in the quieter moments, funnily enough, and perhaps some of the effects panning "seems" very slightly better in the opening battle sequences.
    I'd say LFE level was similar though.

4. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried it with another dvd (Ali),,,,get the same.

maybe this is another Arcam crapism. I wonder if it could be the dv88 or the avr100.

Are there any other dv88/avr100 owners out there who get the same ?

5. kezza

kezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm no expert but I thought if you were using a sub you should set all your speakers to small.

Regards

6. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The avr100 allows me to set all speakers to large and the sub ON. This seems to work ok with DD, but not DTS.

Just out of interest, I tried setting all the speakers to small on the avr100 and the sub ON. This results in very similar LFE on both DD and DTS.

So, I suspect it's an avr100 "feature". ie,,it does'nt quite work properly :).

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I would look to the AV100. Not one of John crowning glories, from memory it does not bass re mixing so I would have a hunt around and email Arcam with your question and see what they say, they have pretty decent support for a AV firm.

8. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have spent nearly the whole of yesterday comparing DVD movie Dolby Digital soundtracks over DTS and overall, I must say that the DTS soundtracks are better, even if by a slight margin.

Gladiator for me is one of the prime examples of DTS's superiority over Dolby Digital.

On the DTS soundtrack of Gladiator in chapter 2, everything is noticably sharper and more defined than the Dolby Digital soundtrack. There is better effects steering on the surround-channels (shooting arrows). The low bass not only has more 'punch' but is sharper and less muffled than the Dolby Digital soundtrack - listen to when the catapults are first fired.

I then compared Fast And The Furious's Dolby Digital Soundtrack versus the DTS and found similar results, but to a lesser extent than the results found in Gladiator - again everything seemed slightly sharper and clearer, especially the low bass-notes on most of the tunes and again, slightly better surround-channel effects steering.

9. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    j0hn_r, that doesn't sound normal at all and it sounds to me as if either there is a problem with your amp, or you haven't set-up your amp's bass-management correctly - Gladiator has one of the best DTS soundtracks avaliable on DVD, along side other DTS soundtracks such as The Haunting, Saving Private Ryan, U-571 and a few others.

10. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked your wiring. Could be some loose wires somewhere.

11. mark1

mark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed on my Sony STR-DB930 a lack of bass during gladiator DTS. The DD audio isnt much better either.

DTS is normally noticably clearer on my system but I havent noticed any difference in bass.

saving private ryan DTS is awesome.

My system

sony strdb930
    sony dvd player
    built all my own speakers and subwoofers

12. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback,,,,I'll follow up with Arcam,,,I sure its the avr100 not working properly.

13. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi John_r -

I've been looking into this on your behalf and I suggest a firmware update will sort this and also provide you with more comprehensive bass management facilities should you ever need them.

If you are ever visiting Cambridge we can provide this on more or less awhile you wait basis. If not we will need the unit back packed in its original carton. In either case you need to set this up with our customer service team - phone 01223 203203 in office hours.

Sincerely,

John dawson (Arcam)

14. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John D,,,wow, I'm impressed,,I was waiting for a response from support,,but you've beat them to it :).

thanks for you help.

15. jflynn

jflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just dragged this tread up on a search.
    I have the same problem.Did you get the firmware update and if so how is it now.

16. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still waiting to get it back :-( I'll let you know when it turns up

17. jflynn

jflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the bull by the horns and have sent my receiver off to Arcam today after speaking to them this morning.
    How long have you been waiting for it.They told me it was going to be about a 2 week turnaround which since I`m away for the next 10 days is why I thought now was the best time.

18. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jflynn --- I've got it back. The firmware upgrade has certainly given better bass management options, but I'm convinced it has not made a significant improvement to the LFE response with DTS tracks. It has been suggested that this may be DVD related,,I have tried it with Gladiator, Hanibal and Santana and get poor results with each. Please let me know if you hear an improvement when your one comes back.

btw,,,I just read another thread which looked very similar, but the guy had a denon 3802...he fixed it by replacing his optical cable with coax !!!!!!(I already use coax)