Poor image quality

Garef

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got my Benq projector hooked up in the living room, sitting on a chest at the rear left side of the room, however, I wanted to move it up onto the wall at the rear in the middle of the room. I have done this however, it does not matter what cable I use, I get lines all over the picture. I have purchased a higher quality cable which doesn't work, the only thing that works is my cheap original phono style cable with the yellow tips. The other problem is that this is not long enough to mount the projector in the new position. I even bought a cheap extension phono cable for this, but when I hook it all up I still get the same result. Any suggestions please.

Thanks.

Sounds like you are using the worst quality connection called composite. You need at least component for better quality.

What do you mean pj? Sorry I'm really basic with this stuff.

I am using a composite connection, but my only other option on the back of the projector is s-video. It works fine with the composite wires when it is on the cheap 3ft cable, but when I switch to any other cable, it looks like dog food.

Is it down to the length of the cable?

It works fine with the composite wires when it is on the cheap 3ft cable, but when I switch to any other cable, it looks like dog food.

Is it down to the length of the cable?

No it's down to using the AV equivalent of 'dog food' for the connection: Composite is really poor even for a TV let alone a big projector screen. It's probably indicative of the quality of the projector if it only has this or S-Video connections, but perhaps a better quality cable (ie one with better screening) might help, but the final image will still be soft and blury. If you have an S-Video cable and suitable output from your player, then in relative terms this should be a bit of an upgrade (not HD of course, but still better than composite).

Essentially both the composite and S-Video cables are analogue and the lines you see are probably caused by interferance due to the cable length/poor shielding. It's not a matter of paying for a cable with gold connectors, more that it needs better screening.

If the BenQ has a VGA input you might be able to use an adaptor that will accept RGB from a scart output on a DVD player, but you'd need to check the manual. If this works it may give the best image you could hope for with this projector.

Are you running the video cable close to a mains cable or transformer or something? That might be interfering with the pj or video cable as Kelvin suggests.

Gary

It's not running close to any power lines, I've learned this lesson from in car audio.

I'm using my sky box and my dvd player, from a scart connection to composite.

Basically the only thing I have changed is the length of the cable I have been using, that's the only change. I have went from poor quality composite cable, to high quality cable, to a longer cheaper composite cable and the thing that works the best is the short cable.

I may look at the vga - scart input, but it would need to be about a 5m cable.

If you move the pj back to where it was, and try the same cable combinations, do you still get bad results with all cables or does the cheapo on still get better results?

Gary

If you move the pj back to where it was, and try the same cable combinations, do you still get bad results with all cables or does the cheapo on still get better results?

Gary

Well the cheapo cable isn't long enough to stretch to where the pj is mounted on the wall, but when I move it back to the sideboard I still get the same results, cheapo cable works best and the others are giving me the lines.

Well if the new longer cables are giving you problems with the pj on the sideboard (I take it you've done that to prove it's not a pj location issue), it sounds like the cables are the problem. I've used long composite cables in the past with no problems so it's possible you've been unlucky with the ones you've bought.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom