Poor image Philip[s SV10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LJT, Jan 3, 2003.

1. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that the philips hopper sv10 is now a little old in the tooth. Three years to be precise. I've been fairly happy with this pj its not great on everything.
    Anyhow I digress. Over the xmas period I had use of an Epson EMP-50. Blimey this thing made the Hopper look like a projector of darkness. The image was so bright and yet the contrast vastly superior to the sv10. When I switched back to the hopper I found the image quality almost unbearable. I've cleaned all the optics and polorisers plus the lcd panels. This was a precarious job getting into the optics but aslight improvement was wrought.
    The lamp has done just over half of its claimed 4000 hrs, yet every thing seems so dull and lacklustre.
    My questions are thus
    1) is it feasable the poor performance could be an electrical problem.
    2) Could it be the lamp? Would a dying lamp manifest itself a poor image quality and lack of contrast?
    I'm using a iScan pro and I've tried taking out of the equation and just using s-video, but thats worse.
    What do people think of the Epson EMP-50?
    Finally if there is an electrical fault or it is the lamp. It's a poor showing for something originally cost over two thousand quid!

2. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I felt it was only fair to relieve the anxiety about my problem.
    I've gone on in the past about the value of clean optics with PJ's.
    I actually decided to take the risk an open up as it were the hopper sv10. I'll describe this device.

Starting from the lamp the light goes through a difuser of sorts ,then its through a prism. another difuser, a lens, some angled polarizes glass then some more polorized glass then several lens more polarized glass and yet some more . then through the lcd panel then a prism then finally the main lens.

So the light has to travel through at least 10 layers of glass (including the lamp glass) before finally projected. Now my mistake was to use a anti- static polish to clean all the lens. The reason why I believe the image deteriorated so much was down to this polish causing geater reflectivity and opacity. I decied to clen all the whloe lot again with warm water detergent rinsing and shaking dry and fianally dry completey with a cotten handkerchief. Finally shifting any dust with the air duster.
    Results .

My image quality is now back or should I say far better than it was originally. To think I almost purchased a new lamp.

I'll finish by saying don't expect too much help of the manafacturer's anf theit contracter's . There's to much money to be made in the cleaning game!

3. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic improvements in image quality can be had by using 'Beltism'. Peter Belt is visionary exponent of 'morphic field contamination' & 'morphic field purification'. So in essence we strive for'MFP' and try to eliminate'MFC'.
    This works so well and is so fundemental to the universal rules, it's incredible!
    More tomorrow.