1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor image on Panasonic TH-50PHW5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by esta56, Jul 4, 2004.

1. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I play DVDs from my HTPC's Hard Disk (ripped using DVD Shrink) through Theatertek and via a VGA connection to the Plasma. My problem is that in some films I notice a very bad effect that makes parts of the screen look like the picture has been made up of distinct seperate blocks of colour giving a 'Painting by Numbers' impression! Two films that show it the most are The Hulk and Master & Commander, which is because the effect appears mainly in sky, dust or fog scenes.

I have tried to take some screen shots (via WinDVD) to show the problem but I should point out that, though still visible, the effect is not as distinct as when the film is playing. The films (both PAL versions) were played with the Powerstrip set to 1368 x 768 at 60hz.

I've put the post initially in the Plasma forum as I'm wondering if it is a Plasma problem but it maybe that it should be in the Computer & Home Cinema PC Forum.

Anyway have a look at the pictures - 45degrees above and to the right of the Hulk and in M&C, look at the fog to the right of the picture. Again, I would stress that it is worse than these pictures show (and they're pretty bad)!

So, does anyone have anuy ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Limitation of an mpegII encoded video using DVD spec bitrates on scenes which traditionall show the downside of compressed video?
    Did you let DVDshrink compress the video data when copying to the HD?
    I suspect even if the video data was taken from the original disc it would show the same faults, the scenes (especially M&C) are bitrate monsters and would probably show faults on any large screen.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm certain Starburst is correct, M&C shows this effect on our demo HCPC and infocus 7200 setup, and also noticed on my own Z2 and iscan HD setup, so it must be the disc. I'd thought so when we 1st noticed, and now avoid this disc for demo use....

4. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As I've ripped to my hard drive, I've kept them at 100% (no compression). I've tested the original discs and the problem is the same, which would possibly make the disc or MPEG2 the suspect but I don't get the problem through my projector onto a 10' screen, whether I use disc or the ripped version. I can accept some solarisation with Plasma but this 'Painting by Numbers' effect doesn't seem right. It may be a problem with Powerstrip (or the other software in the chain) but thought I'd check through the Plasma Forum first. Does anyone have definitive Powerstrip settings for this Panny which may remove the effect?