• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Poor HDMI signal from Mini.

Dave Bartram

Established Member
Connected my Mini to my new monitor today and getting dropouts and sparkles. Using a pretty cheap HDMI 5m lead. Would it be the length of the lead or the quality that's affecting my picture? Tried it with a 1.5 metre lead (also more expensive) and it works fine. Worth spending more on a lead or is it just too long?

Cheers

Dave

D

Deleted member 171211

For a 15 foot run of cable, I think you need to spend a bit more, especially if you are getting sparklies. Cheap cables are fine for short runs.

Dave Bartram

Established Member
Cheers mate, any suggestions as to make of cable or what I should spend? Also I could probably get away with a 4 metre lead, make much difference?

Dave

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
There must be something wrong with the lead if it doesn't work properly. Take it back & get a refund. I have used a cheap (less than 30 quid) 10m cable from my Mac Mini to TVs & a projector with no problems at all.

HDMI-HDMI is all digital & assuming that there is no problem with the Mini or the monitor then any length that is on sale should work however cheap the price. If it doesn't work then it's not fit for purpose & you are due a refund

Incidentally I don't think that you can actually buy a 4m cable. I have seen 2m,2.5m,3m & 5m but never a 4m.

Dave Bartram

Established Member
Just got back from Screwfix (Wife works there) with another 5m lead, connected it up and no sparkles or dropouts. Still a relatively cheap lead (£22) so looks like the other was faulty, shall be sending that one back. Just need to set up the dual screens with Plex and we're all go :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dave

Dave Bartram

Established Member
It was under a tenner...Didn't actually realize I could get one locally for £20 or I wouldn't have bothered getting one of the net. Just looked in PC world etc and they were £50+

D

Deleted member 171211

Yeah, the ones from PC World/Dixons/Currys/etc are a rip off!

ascender

Established Member
So what's the difference with the more expensive HDMI cables? I thought I'd read numerous postings saying that it didn't matter when it comes to HDMI.

ascender

Established Member
Ooohh - don't start that one buddy ;)

Oh dear, its not another one of those touchy subjects is it?! ;)

Genuinely interested as this was the first thread in ages I'd read where the quality of HDMI cables came up, I thought it was widely accepted that more expensive HDMI cables weren't worth the money.

Rafe

Prominent Member
Oh dear, its not another one of those touchy subjects is it?! ;)

Genuinely interested as this was the first thread in ages I'd read where the quality of HDMI cables came up, I thought it was widely accepted that more expensive HDMI cables weren't worth the money.

Not necessarily a 'touchy' subject. It's just one of those subjects where people argue it out for ages. :rolleyes:

I have bought QED cables in the past and on the flip side, I purchased a £3.99 2m cable from ebuyer and I couldn't tell the difference. :confused:

D

Deleted member 171211

Over short lengths, I doubt you are going to find any difference (unless the cable is poorly soldered, for example). Over longer lengths, you are more likely to find problems, but that's just due to the nature of electronics signals. There's a reason things like ethernet cables have a maximum length between network ports.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Over short lengths, I doubt you are going to find any difference (unless the cable is poorly soldered, for example). Over longer lengths, you are more likely to find problems, but that's just due to the nature of electronics signals. There's a reason things like ethernet cables have a maximum length between network ports.
The HDMI signals are all digital so a cable either works or it doesn't. There is no way that an expensive one can perform any better than a cheap one. Of course an expensive one may be better made & thus more durable but in terms of picture & sound quality it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

If a cable is labelled as complying with the HDMI specification & it doesn't work properly then you are due a refund. It doesn't matter how long, short, cheap or expensive it is.

D

Deleted member 171211

If a cable is labelled as complying with the HDMI specification & it doesn't work properly then you are due a refund. It doesn't matter how long, short, cheap or expensive it is.

I agree with your point here and please don't think I wasn't. Specs are there for a reason, which is why I mentioned ethernet cables, which generally need to be plugged into a switch (or amplified in some way) to reach longer distances. HDMI is no different and I would certainly never spend silly money on a cable. Equally, if I needed a 10 or 15m run of HDMI cable, I wouldn't buy a 3 quid cable to do it.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom