Quantcast

Poor HD Background (blocking)

jordan23

Standard Member
Hi all,

Had HD now for a couple of months now and I'm impressed with the quality (particularly SS and BBC),albeit the there could be a little more choice, but I appreciate this will come with time.

What I have noticed though, is that on some HD broadcasts (mainly the Movie HD channels) there seems to be really bad blocking on the background. Films like Blade, Dodgeball and I,Robot that I've watched in HD, all seem to suffer from really bad background distortion, for instance, on interior walls etc.

I'm very new to this, but am not a fool, and well researched the Plasma before I brought it, so know the TV is not pants.

Is it something to do with the Resolution Output, or is everyone else getting this poor quality? I'd really appreciate some comments..Ta

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
Low bitrate basically.. Sky are dropping the HD bitrates at certain times so the films are starting to break up.

ROBERTT

There are separate threads discussing similar issues, but basically, over the last couple of weeks, mpeg artefacts are being introduced due to less than ideal bitrates. As you have noticed, these tend to be seen in large background areas like walls etc, and are really distracting and annoying :mad:

I have had Sky HD since the start, and these artefacts were definitely not present then and have become more noticeable over the last couple of weeks...

Make sure you complain to Sky (I have!) or else they will continue to starve the bit rate and we end up with sub standard HD pics. I have already decided to cancel my movie subs if the situation is not rectified within the next few weeks. Will keep the sport though, as so far, this has been top quality.....AS YOU WOULD RIGHTLY EXPECT FROM A PREMIUM HD SERVICE:nono:

I think The 4400 is a good example of this. Terrible blocking in backgrounds. and only 6% disc space to record last weeks 2 hour pilot as well. Somethings not quite right is it?

shaithis

Novice Member
Complaining to Sky seems useless......all they have done with me is tell me my system isn't setup correctly.

Complete and utter bulls**t. The sooner there are alternatives, the better!

Ninjapaul

Novice Member
shaithis said:
Complaining to Sky seems useless......all they have done with me is tell me my system isn't setup correctly.

Complete and utter bulls**t. The sooner there are alternatives, the better!
I agree. But the sooner sky improve the better.

Cool DVD collection BTW but no Battlestar Galactica? All those DVDs and no BSG!

Top Bottom