Poor freeview signal

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Todda, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend who has had a digital Arial installed and connected to her TV via her VCR and then her ON Digital box. The terrestrial signal on the television is excellent (Even channel 5) yet very poor on the VCR. She can receive all the free view channels but some break up quite a bit especially when the box starts to warm up.

I am struggling to work out why this is happening since the TV receives its signal via the other equipment.

Can anyone please advise me?

2. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Old boxes are often doing that,

you best bet it to take your box round hers and try plugging it into her "AERIAL" ;)

if its still crap then her AERIAL will need replaceing with a bigger one

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Be honest now, its you we are talking about isn't it :devil:

There is no such thing as a Digital Aerial. Freeview can be received with a bog standard aerial, it just needs to be the correct one for the area you are in and in good condition with screened coax cable.

The DTT box should be the first thing connected to the aerial, then VCR & finally the TV.

analogue and digital reception have nothing to do with each other. My analogue is unwatchable, but DTT is very good.

Sounds like interference is being picked up by either the aerial or the coax cable or perhaps even from the mains supply. Coax should be replaced with satalitte double shielded coax. A mast head amp may also help if the signal strength is low. Also a surge protector socket may help to eliminate the mains problems.

Mark.

4. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dunt you think its best to try a new box with a new tunner first, as a free simlple test, might be the box is older (crappy tunner)

i think its important factor

5. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the question of quality, does anyone suffer with the digital picture breaking up everytime we have a rainstorm.

I've had a new Aerial installed proffesionally & all calibrated for Dig, which works fine until the weather drops. Analogue still works fine though through rainstorms.

Ah technology ;)

6. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help.

The Arial she has had installed was not a digital one but is specifically made for receiving a signal onto a digital free view box. (It was the strongest Arial I could find to be installed in my area.)

I can’t take my box around to hers to try it because I have Sky+.

I thought that the better signal you receive the better both the
    analogue and digital reception would be.

I think that idea is a good one. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone else with a free view box. I might have to go to a shop and buy a new box and ask if I can take the box back if the reception does not improve.

I might already have it set up like that. If not I will change it to see if that improves things before spending any money.

7. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687

As we seem to be quoting parts of these threads so much, I thought I'd just share with you an earlier one as it seemed all very "carry on" risque to me.... :rotfl:

I reckon all of these are sound advise to help a "friend"....