Poor dvd picture and sound

steve501

Standard Member
Reaction score
Poor dvd picture and sound on blue ray
For the last couple of months the picture and sound on my tv has been getting worse on dvd (incl blue ray).The picture and sound are just not as good as they were. By the way i have Onkyo SR875, Philips LCD 42" PFL7926D and did have Sony 500 DVD. With a QED Hdmi original dvd to amp, Chord silver + amp to tv. Picture is ok on Sky + as direct to tv (not through amp). 2 weeks ago i replaced the DVD for the Sony S760 but the picture and sound is still brilliant even on blue ray. Could it be settings or is my amp faulty or hdmi lead (perhaps damaged?)

Any ideas where to start - Please

steve

If it is the HDMI lead, you may find that Chord will still consider it under warranty (if it is replaceable, see if you can get them to replace it with a Supershield or Active depending on how much you paid for the original.

See if you can find a loaner cable from a neighbour to narrow down the fault. Perhaps connect the player to the tv direct as well and see?

If it is the HDMI cable then it could be the cable burn-in process has gone seriously wrong somewhere. They do normally recommend a few hundred hours use for the particles to loosen up thus allowing the data to flow smoothly from one end to the other resulting in visibly improved picture/sound quality. However on this occasion, the opposite has happened and rather than improving it might be the case that the cable has over burnt itself hence the gradual degradation. Can't really blame the cable, after all how is it supposed to know when to stop burning-in? If it is the cable then QED and or Chord have a lot to answer for, they ought to place a microchip inside each cable to instruct it when to stop burning-in or maybe they already do in their higher end versions. Shoddy engineering.

If it is the HDMI cable then it could be the cable burn-in process has gone seriously wrong somewhere. They do normally recommend a few hundred hours use for the particles to loosen up thus allowing the data to flow smoothly from one end to the other resulting in visibly improved picture/sound quality. However on this occasion, the opposite has happened and rather than improving it might be the case that the cable has over burnt itself hence the gradual degradation. Can't really blame the cable, after all how is it supposed to know when to stop burning-in? If it is the cable then QED and or Chord have a lot to answer for, they ought to place a microchip inside each cable to instruct it when to stop burning-in or maybe they already do in their higher end versions. Shoddy engineering.

Ouch

OK seriously let's try.

Steve,

Your post is a bit confusing where you seem to contradict what you are saying:

For the last couple of months the picture and sound on my tv has been getting worse on dvd (incl blue ray).The picture and sound are just not as good as they were.

But then say:

2 weeks ago i replaced the DVD for the Sony S760 but the picture and sound is still brilliant even on blue ray.

So it appears to me that whatever problem you had with picture/sound, it is now resolved. If the picture/sound is 'brilliant' what makes you say:

Could it be settings or is my amp faulty or hdmi lead (perhaps damaged?

I would be glad to try and help you out here, if you still have a problem please rephrase the issue.

Last edited:
[

Any ideas where to start - Please

steve

Can you describe the issue in more detail ?

Usually HDMI cable related issues result in very noticeable issues with video i.e. loss of image, flashing/flickering image, sparkles etc.

How do you calibrate your setup ?

AVI

sorry should have "STILL NOT BRILLIANT"
thanks
steve

I see.

You say both the picture and sound has lost quality which could mean that different equipment has become defective at the same time - a highly unlikely scenario assuming you have not changed any of the settings on your TV/Amp.

This would then point towards the cables or switcher (av receiver). Well if it is connected via HDMI then you will either receive a picture and sound or the signal will be so bad that you would get obvious audio/video break up, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

So is it the switcher? A simple way to know for sure is to connect the blu ray player direct to TV, does the picture quality improve? Again as with the HDMI cable a switcher will either work or it won't. If it doesn't work then the failure would be obvious and the data corruption would be perceived as audio/video break up.

The only other suspect I could think of is the mythical effect of mains (electricity) coming into your home. Some say that dirty mains can spoil picture and video performance. Have there been any changes in infrastructure around your area, any new factories built for example? Have you bought a new fridge freezer or other electrical device that might introduce this effect to your AV system? Of course others argue that the last couple of meters in the electricity chain from the factory to your home can hardly be considered relevant.

Lastly and I think this is probably the most relevant scenario (apart from accidentally changing all your AV settings) is that you have grown to dislike your system. Upgraditis I believe they call it. What once wowed you is no longer as potent. Your tastes has changed, you have a new benchmark. It happens a lot in this hobby. Does other members of your family share the same view that there has been a loss of picture/audio quality?

Just a few pointers that I hope will help you find a solution.

Thanks for the advice - i work away all week so i will be trying all the advice on saturday. I have been messing with settings so i am going to do the following :
1) try lead (and then spare) off blue ray direct to tv.
2) check on spare tv (luckily have same tv in bedroom except 32")
3) reset all settings on av receiver.

and take it from there - will post results on sunday

This is the single greatest response I've ever read on here.

I don't know, this response is pretty great as well:rotfl:
The Daily Star:- 'New factory broke my Blu-Ray player'

Hand-hewn perfection in every word:D

thanks all for help found culprit it was my Wi games console disconnected it and problem gone - hoorah
thanks again all
steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom