poor digital reception

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Billy Whiz, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Billy Whiz

Billy Whiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Panasonic DT40 integrated digital TV. The digital picture on BBC and Channel Five is perfect; but sound and picture breaks up on ITV and Channel 4, and I get the on-screen message "bad reception". Am I right in thinking this must be an aerial problem? Do you need a different type of aerial for digital TV? In which case, why do the other channels work so well? Could there be a fault with the digital tuner? Any advice appreciated ...

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    First of do you have a amplifier on your tv aerial ? If so do you know the make / model and how much gain it gives you ?

The different channels on broadcast of different MUX, within each MUX you get 4 or 5 tv channels....rough guide below.

Mux 1 (BBC 1 etc)
    Mux 2 (ITV1 Etc)
    Mux A (Five, QVC etc)
    Mux B (BBC 4, Parliament etc)
    Mux C (Sky News, UK History etc)
    Mux D (ftn, TMF etc)

All the MUXs except MUX2 use a more robust broadcast system QAM64. ITV (MUX2) still use QAM16 from the OnDigital days which isn't as robust and people tend to have problems getting if you live in a poor digital signal area whereas the other channels are ok.

So your tv is fine and the tuner IMO ! :)

You might need a new aerial but you might just need an amplifier. Let us know what you've got now....

PS My Nan had the same problem with her Sony TV, turned out the 4 way plug was kicking out interfence on the plugin amplifier! So bought a new one and suddenly ITV was on full strengh signal and ok all the time !

3. Billy Whiz

Billy Whiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The aerial wire is plugged into the TV via a small plastic box (about 10cm by 5cm) that's screwed onto the skirting board. This box is plugged into the mains. I inherited this set-up so I've no idea what this box does! Maybe it is a mini amplifier, but I doubt it cos it's very small and lightweight. It's just white plastic, there's no name on it.

I'll take a closer look tonight (I'm at work now) and get back to you. Thanks for your interest!

PS I live in St Albans, 20 miles from the centre of London, so I'd have thought I'd be in a decent reception area.

4. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it could be a little amp,

try plugging in the tv to the aerial socket with the box inbetween.

if the signals high and low on others this could mean you need a WIDEBAND aerial

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds like its a small amp then as chilpillphil said and try without it plugged in. It could be worth getting a better amplifier and trying that before the cost of a new aerial. B&Q do some good cheap ones by Maxivew, Ive used one at home, my nan and sisters house and all made Freeview reception much better.

6. mobily

mobily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

Call me thick, but I didn't realise that tv aerials had amplifiers on them.

I am a little concerned as to the reception I am going to get in my new place when I move. Still, time will tell!

James :)

7. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    "I didn't realise that tv aerials had amplifiers on them"

They don't but you can add one to the cable between the aerial and the tv.

8. Billy Whiz

Billy Whiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now had a look at the white plastic box I was talking about. It's a power supply unit made by Teleste Cablevision, type CM7261 (it says "for 12V DC at 23mA max", whatever that means). It also says "50Hz". Now, my TV is 100Hz. Would that cause a problem?

If this white box is indeed an amp, what sort of amp should I replace it with? What sort of specs should I be looking for?

BTW, my aerial is a roof-mounted, 5 element Gainmaster. It's about 12 years old.

9. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This sounds like a masthead amp power supply unit*. If it is then there should be a little black or red box outside on the aerial pole.

Sounds possibly like you might need a completely new aerial installation but lets hope not.

*pending more expert knowledge of course.

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is indeed the power supply for a masthead amplifier. 50Hz refers to the mains frequency. Nothing to do with your TV set. If your masthead amp is not a "wideband" type then it's likely that you'll have to change it and the aerial. Take the oppotunity to fit the proper double-shielded cable as well.

Fman

11. Billy Whiz

Billy Whiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt if it's wideband, cos it's 12 years old.

Any further advice on what to look for in an aerial set-up, apart from the double-shielded cable you mentioned?

(Thanks for all these tips)

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Old small aerial

JUst get a new wideband and CT100 aerial cable - won't need the amp then