1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor customer care at Abbey (National)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by krish, Oct 28, 2005.

1. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,226
    Have just completed purchase on new house and was going round various banks and building societies with my change of address...

Now all of them used this as an opportunity to try and sell me buildings and contents cover having checked if I had just bought a house - which was fine, as I ended up with a cheaper quote with greater cover from Halifax than with my existing insurer Barclays. BUT then I went to Abbey where the "advisor" spent fifteen'kin'minutes going over the tiresome "Key Facts" and data protection crap and actually making it less clear than it was on the literature she handed over that I read in a couple of minutes. Then she proceeded with the quote preparation - which ended up being double my current premium. I made it clear to her that this was rubbish and much cheaper elsewhere to which she responded "I don't believe you"; and then she said "see what you think, there's a 14 day cooling-off period can I have your bank details". I just burst out laughing and said I'd think about it and I'll read the leaflet and illustration again at home to compare with others - she immediately took back the glossy leaflet ("we don't have many left") and rather insincerely thanked me for my time.

That has got to be the worst highstreet bank customer service I've ever experienced. The whole point of the FSA's laborious "Key Facts" is to prevent misselling, and then this menopausal jobsworth tries to rip me off! :mad:

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I wonder if Abbey is now forcing their staff to be more agressive in their sales approach. Every time I have some reason to visit the counter they try to sell me a mortgage / loan / credit card etc. Up to now I've just replied with a weary 'no thanks' and they normally nod in the sort of 'I didn't think so, but I have to do this' sort of way.

However earlier this week my 'no thanks' was met with a feigned incredulous 'But I'm trying to save you money'. When I then pointed out that she was not in fact trying to save me money but trying to make money for her employer and herself, I was accused of having 'a strange attitude'.

Had I the will to spend even more time in the branch I would have had a word with the manager about her 'attitude', but I didn't think it was really worth it.

3. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    natwest and woolwich.

only banks worth banking with

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Well it will be interesting to see how Abbey reposition themselves with the news that they will now being targeting more "high risk" customers than they (or other high street banks) typically go for.

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    i find most banks to be a disgrace, i am a smal business owner, and when we first started we banked with HSBC, i found them useless we wasnt even assigned a buiness account manager, so we moved to Barclays where the overall sevrice was better and we got to knwo our manager quite well, except it always took nine attmepts for him to do anything and also he was always trying to sell us something, accounting sofware, pay roll software etc, got sick to death of him too.