poor component input into dell 2405fpw

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Uzion, Oct 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Uzion

Uzion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive tried both the ps2 and xbox on this monitor via component in 480p and they look TERRIBLE. Ive never seen such a bad image in my life, is it meant to look this like? I got a better picture on my crt in the 80's via rf input

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yeah, same here. Tried 720p into the component, and it looks pants. The VGA is much better, but still not great. The DVI is the only input that really shines on it. Not much use for ps2 & xbox though :(

3. ri4z

ri4z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got the monitor, but are you guys sure that there isn't a problem with your component board or something?

I've seen rave reviews on the internet about the quality of the component picture on this monitor for the xbox, and the screenshots look amazing... I'll try and find some links.

Has anyone else on the forums tried their xbox on the dell 24 via component?

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    This is probably normal. I'm assuming the monitor is designed mainly for computer use, and the Component input is more of a value-added extra, right?

This is one of the reasons that dedicated LCD televisions cost a lot more than LCD monitors. While it's possible that a computer user could buy an LCD monitor and run it at its native resolution 100% of the time, an LCD TV will almost never be driven at its native resolution and will have to handle a huge variety of resolutions - PAL, NTSC, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i - NONE of which will typically match the resolution of the TV. So because of that, a very expensive high-quality scaler is needed.

What exactly is wrong with the picture - can you take a picture of what it looks like?

5. Uzion

Uzion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sure, Ill take a few pic in the next hour.

What is wrong is that its icredibly grainy. ALOT. Its like they made the base, puked on top and then lay the screen down (in component mode)

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    My component output is just fine thanks. Looks spanking into my Panny plasma & sanyo projector. This is both xbox, and an Arcam FMJ DV27A fed through an iScan HD processor.

Like Uzion says, it just comes out grainy on the Dell. Screenshots might look great - all that tells you is that screenshots are worthless :)

Have to say it's not a big deal for me - I use it as a desktop monitor, for which it is superb. But I can understand how someone who'd bought it expecting to use those tempting component inputs might be a little disappointed.

7. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This was what put me off buying this display since one of my major uses of it would have been for console gaming via component. Critics generally praised the screen for desktop usage but most agreed that component wasn't all that great, nor was watching movies and playing games through a PC.

As a desktop display it's one of the best in its class though.

8. Uzion

Uzion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok too some pics, first of Halo 2 running in 60hz at 480p. Do note Im using a very expensive camera that takes lovely shots of screens, so what you see, is what I see.

Here goes:

HALO 2- RUNNING 480p 60hz

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4891/img02499tt.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2070/img02502vs.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/8693/img02512wr.jpg

As you can see, there is a LOT of noise in the pic (look closely and youll see lines of dots going everywhere) and the grass in the last pic looks like it came off the n64! I tried a lot of settings and if I sat about 2 metres away it looked "ok" but it also looked like I was playing a 14 inch television in scart at that distance. Unacceptable.

Oh and non progressive games? FORGET IT. Interlaced games are IMPOSSIBLE to play on this system, even if you were expecting composite quality, it doest look anywhere near it

FAHRENHEIT XBOX 576i

The horrible noise is a lot more noticable in an interlaced game, but it makes it obvious that the display is coming across this way, it has a nasty moving grainy layer behind the picture.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/48/img02558hi.jpg

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5250/img02573ej.jpg

All in all its a shame, unless my unit it broken, this set is going back. I cant believe that I've read from various sources that the component input is clean and natural and that gaming is lovely on this. Ive tested my consoles and all my cables on other HD sets (even my friends CRT) and theyre fine.

Basically anyone who says the dell is good for consoles via component=

LIAR!

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    That looks utterly shocking, it looks like some sort of screwed up noise reduction system gone wrong. Definitely send it back, that's not fit for use.

10. Uzion

Uzion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, its going back on monday

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    It's widely known Dell is likely to be introducing a new 20 and 24" wide monitor sometime soon. They're knocking hte prices of these down to clear them before the newer ones arrive.
    Still, not surprised the image isn't all that good - Xbox hasn't the best ooutput, and you're asking a 1200 screen to display 480 pixels. Of course it's going to look as rough as a badger's behind!
    LCD TVs have much better scaling tech in them, and its only going from 480 to 768, with a farther seating distance.
    Again, it's de-interlacing tech is poor, as it was never envisaged to handle console graphics. It was also probably never envisaged to have users watching DVDs close up - 2-3 metres away in bed.

Stick an Xbox 360 into that Dell, and it'll look a lot better as it takes 720 and spreads it over 1200.

Is there not a scaling function in the menu for you to change settings, or is it 1:1 and full screen only as options?

12. Uzion

Uzion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just 1:1, scaling and aspect.

I wouldnt trust the monitor to run 360 games that well. I fed in a 720p xbox game and while it looked A LOT better than 480, the noise was still heavily present.

The message is clear, you can use this monitor for pc and desktop purposes only. Forget about plugging ANY source in that does not match its native res, and it has either a poor or no scaler and blowing up a 720p image still does damage.

I repeat, contrary to a lot of misleading sources online, stay away from this monitor for gaming purposes via consoles, now or future.

13. reader

reader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    halo dont look that bad on mine. but some games do look terrible on it (chronicles of riddick for isntance). are you guys using the offical component leads? i tried using some £12 ones before i got the offical one and everything looked crap. offical component leads has same quality as x2vga for me.

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,099
    I'm currently running my 2405FPW at 1920x1200 via VGA, and it looks stunning - I can't imagine DVI looking any better. I did, admittedly, have to tell my Geforce 3 card to use CVT timing rather than leaving it on "Auto", and occasionally I have to redo the "auto-adjust" when changing resolutions.

I suspect that trying to feed it an interlaced signal wll give it serious problems, and the in-screen scaling isn't the best (although it's better than most computer monitors). I suspect it might look rather good if fed 1080i (and displaying it at native resolution) and possibly also displaying 720p without scaling to fill the screen.

16. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147