1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor colour shading on Panny 5?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwhite8314, Feb 27, 2003.

1. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you can see from my sig, I've got a 5 series running through the tuner. I've noticed recently that on most video feeds (Tivo, Sky and terrestrial) the colours are looking a little 'solarised' (if that's the right word) - basically I can see the colour shading going up in fairly clear steps - much like when you run a PC dispay at a low colour depth.

Now before you all start :p , I know the tuner is a compromise, but it has to be that way to get wife approval. Having said that, I don't think that could be cuasing this kind of problem (could it :confused: ). Don't get me wrong, it's still watchable, but it's also very noticeable, even on a straight terrestrial feed that shouldn't have any digital artifacts.

Is this just because the screen can only support a certain colour depth?

The SCART interconnects are OK (not el-cheapo, but not £40 each either), but I can't see this would make a huge diff, plus, of course, the terrestrial feed goes directly into the tuner, so there's nothing to degrade that.

2. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should adjust the settings. Pull down the colour, brightness and contrast settings. It gets much better...

3. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never stop playing with the settings, but nothing seems quite right. On a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being high), the current settings are:

Brightness - 8.5
    Contrast - 5.5
    Colour - 4.5
    Sharpness - 3.5

If I have the brightness any lower, all the texture in the blacks just vanishes into a black hole.:confused: