1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor colour on a BENQ presentation projector - advice please...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by codlord, Oct 26, 2004.

1. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My company has just bought a BENQ PB2220 DLP projector for demos/presentations but the colour reproduction on it is very poor - nothing at all like the colours on the PC driving it - very washed out with blues looking grey etc - almost as if it is showing a limited palette.

Is this "normal" - i.e. a limitation of this "cheap" projector or are we doing something wrong or does it need to be displayed on a proper projector screen to get good colour (just projecting onto a wall at the moment, but I have tried projecting onto bright white surfaces without much difference).

We are running it at it's native XGA res of 1024x768 via VGA cable. No colour options within the menu for VGA, only brightness/contrast which do not help.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you tried adjusting the colours using the PC's display properties? Are you using it with a lot of ambient light? Even though 'presentation' projectors are a lot brighter than home cinema ones they're often still not greatly tolerant of bright room lighting.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I would still adjust brightness and contrast, they do have a large effect on colour strength. Otherwise as KraGorn suggests, interrogate the PC end. For instance if you are using a 2nd output graphics card has it defaulted to 16 colours only??

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure there are any colour properties to adjust on the PC (laptop) we have been using, I know most graphics cards nowadays have colour correction etc but not sure this Sony Vaio laptop has but I will investigate, also have to try another PC or something to eliminate the laptop as the problem - should have done that already I suppose.

Ambient light does not seem to make any difference, we have tried it during the day, and at night in a lit/unlit room.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Bummer. Still could easily be running with contrast and/or brightness up too high if you haven't checked that already. Tried adjusting colour temp?

6. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, colour temp can be altered between three settings - none of which really help, brightness and contrast are at 0 by default, setting them to plus and minus figures helps a little bit but still not getting decent colour - I will try another PC (and cable) today and see if either of those are the problem.

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Good luck!

8. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tried another PC and cable and the colours are still the same - tried fiddling with the Nvidia colour correction settings which does help a bit but could still not seem to get it anywhere near as good as the colours on a monitor.

Setting nvidia's "Digital Vibrance" to Medium or High helped us get some colours much closer to that on the monitor but skintones on photos was very "orange" - I could possibly play with various red/green/blue settings to get closer to what we want but I would not expect to have to do this to get the right colours - I mean I am not talking about trying to achieve perfect colours with test cards or anything, simply trying to get roughly what we see on a monitor!

9. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just got a reply from Benq "customer support":
    =====================================
    DLP Chip manufacturers are aware of this issue and are taking steps to
    improve this.

We have taken steps to improve the colour with our new range of projectors
    which come with a 5-segment colour wheel E.g model PB7230.

Kind Regards,

Product Support Team

E-mail: support.uk@BenQ.com <mailto:support.uk@BenQ.com>;
    =====================================

So basically I think they are saying "thats how it is, live with it"!!

Not really happy becuase now we have a projector that's not very good and it's going to be difficult to get it exchanged.

I guess we should have taken the time to demo it before buying but I had nothing to do with the purchase so at least I will not get the blame!