• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Poor BiT d'load speeds on BT vs Virgin ??

jont

I had to change to BT when I moved house (we have a non-LLU exchange) ... but the download speeds I get through Transmission (Mac) on BiTorrent and fileshares are around 10KB at best ...

I have tested the line speed and can get 6.5Mb on an 8Mb line and when doing system updates from Apple or iTunes purchases I get 3-4Mb - so I know the line and connection is good ... when on Virgin 8Mb I got 90KB all the time !!

Does BT have a particularly harsh filtering policy for BiT that actively throttles that sort of data ? or is there anything that I should do differently with adsl over cable ?

thanks

Jon

Parklife

Is this speed all the time or just certain times? During the day I often get up to 900KB/s but find during the evening this can drop to around 20KB/s.

jont

Apologies ... for example - it's taken four days to download a single 1gb episode of a show with 2000 seeders and it's only 150mb done !!

Jon

Last edited:

Kristian

Do you have your torrent client and port forwarding configured correctly? iirc I got a huge speed increase once I'd sorted the port forwarding correctly.

BT throttle p2p from 6pm until 12am I think. It's quite strict too e.g. I can go from 160kbps to 5kbps during these times (on a 2Mb adsl link.)

jont

KrisLee

Never done that - any pointers ? ... I use Transmission on the Mac as my BT app ...

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom