Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Poor bass via multichanel analouge

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thanley, Jul 4, 2005.

1. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Peeps.
    I have the Pio AX5Ai amp and a Pio 575a DVD player. When listening to SACD sources via the multichanel inputs I get little or no bass ( I can hear a small rumble if I turn my Yammy sub up full vol ) If I listen to other sources via the optical inputs on both SKY+ and and the 575 there are no probs, neither are there any probs via the stero inputs.. any ideas? :confused:

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If your player has no bass management, do yourself a favor and buy an ICBM Bass Manager from Outlaw. They don't ship outside the USA, but you can buy them regularly on Ebay, mine was 200 USD and made a huge difference when placed between the Marantz SR-8500 preouts and my Rotel RMB-1095 final.
    That said, you must be doing something wrong- check ALL the settings in the setups of both Pioneers!

3. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Cant see anything on the DVD player to indicate bass management.. need to sit down and go through both manuals.. thanks for the input :smashin:

4. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanley, did you use the MCACC to set up your speakers and are your fronts floorstanding?

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    The Pioneer 575 does not have any form of speaker management at all let alone bass management. There may be an option on the AX5 to boost the sub channel on the multi channel inputs by 10dB which should sort it out. This feature is normally found on the player itself but as the 575 is so basic then you have to rely on having an amp that has this feature. You may also find that even after fixing the subwoofer problem out that it does not sound right. Again this is due to the total lack of speaker management on the 575. For SACD and DVD-A to work properly you need to be able to tell the player all of the speaker distances and adjust the output levels for each channel. This has to be done onboard the player's own settings as the signal is processed before leaving the player and the amplifier is just amplifying the signal. I hate to say this but if you are really interested in getting the most out of the SACD and DVD-A formats then I would ditch that 575 player right now. Don't get me wrong its a reasonable DVD player and you do get a lot of features for your money but at the end of the day if those features are not properly implemented then what is the point.

6. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    575 does have speaker settings menus with basic bass management.
    It also has built in decoders for Dolby Digital and DTS.

Try using one before giving advice!

7. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well said that man :smashin:

8. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yes.. and am not using floor standers, am using the NXT flatties that came with my old pio 990 and am using an old yammy YST SW120 as the 990 sub was an all in one jobbie.. ie it has all the amps ect for the 990 player.. will run it again and change my sub vol and cut off point..

Probably.. you get what you pay for.. but given the excellent SACD and DVD-A playback from my 990 I would have thought that the 575 would have been on a par at least.. :confused:

Cant find anything to do with bass management.. might try and set the speakers to large in the 575 menu and see if it makes any difference.. also notices on the amp, if you select direct SACD management the centre and sub are output via the front and left ???... this may be the prob.. haven't had a chance to check it yet.. will have a play around later this morning and update the thread.

Again thank you all for your input.. its been nearly 7 years since I last used separates as have stuck to all in ones since the little fella was born, he took too much interest in all the black boxes lying around the place.. broke my heart having to sell them.. and christ have things moved on since.. :rolleyes:

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Having had a look at the handbook, there is no management of the digital sound option. That all has to be done by the amp. However there is very basic speaker management on the 5.1 outs showing on/off/small/large, distance and sub on or off. Speakers are set to large by default meaning if there is no sacd sub info, you will hear nothing. This info is on page 41 of the English only version of the handbook here.

10. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cable Monkey is right, hence my question about floorstanding speakers.

I had exactly the the same problem as you recently. Change the settings from the amp on screen to small front speakers as I did. This should solve your problem.

Tardis

11. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ok.. here it goes..
    1: I restet amp to defaults set sub to vol 50% and freq to 120 and re-ran the MCACC .

2: Set speakers to small on the amp and dvd player ensuring that sub was set to on on both. set SACD to play 5.1 portion of the disk. Disabled and enabled direct SACD playback on the amp.. still bugger all bass..

3: Swapped the cables and still nothing.. played DVD via multichanel and still no bass.. swithed from multi input to optical, and the whole house shook with the base...

Base levels are fine on the stereo ins and the optical ins.. but not analog multichanel.. can not understand why as have everything set as it should be.. :suicide:

12. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanley, not trying to sound funny or anyhting, but are you sure you're using a SACD disk. Mistakes do happen, human error an all that.

13. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    yes mate.. its the WOTW SACD and also tried Dark Side of the Moon SACD by Floyd.... also cant get decent base from DVD's either using the 5.1 inputs.. but if I switch to optical.. no problems.. :(

14. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Excellent choices Thanley.

15. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    :( Yup.. but they sounded much better through my pio 990.. now if that bloody machine had an optical/coax out.. I would have been laughing.. would not have bothered buying the 575.. should have serously considered buying a machine with i-link :(