Poor area of reception, need advice

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by chavo, Feb 6, 2009.

1. chavo

chavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all. Well this peice goes for both myself and my dad. We both live in a place that is very low, around sea level or maybe slightly lower. if you want to use google maps then the post code is CH45 3LN.

The problem is that my dads house is a bit lower than the houses around him, to pick up the transmitter at winter hill that sends out Granada and all the freeview goodies he will need a long pole and a very good aerial.

At the moment he is pointing it at wales and he picks up ITV Wales. He can not get anything from freeview in this direction though.

My aerial is pointing in the same direction (towards wales) i get most of the stuff on freeview but not film 4 and a couple of the plus 1 chans, they often freeze and stuff.

The Question really is... what is the best aerial on the market?
    Which direction should i point to in order to get freeview?

Thanks for your help folks.

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    My mum lives in a place with no reception. I put in an old sky box and dish and got a Free To Air card from Sky for £20 IIRC. Entirely pointless as it turns out as she only watches the main 4 channels (they can't get Five either) but at least she is set up for when they switch off the analogue

3. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    UK digital TV reception predictor

Looks like you need a Group A aerial MOUNTED VERTICALLY (ie rods up/down not sideways) pointed at Storeton (Red Hill I presume) - bit east of south - when you should be able to get both analogue and digital. Wolfbane says you need an amplifier, but I suspect you can cope without.

Best talk to a local installer.

4. chavo

chavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks very much for this info. Just out of interest do you know of any aerioals that might fit in to catergory A? could you provide a link of a good one?

Also just noticed it says aerial height 10m. is this from ground level? or do i need a 10 m pole! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    10m is above ground level. Typical 2 storey chimney.

A.T.V (Aerials And Television) Home Page

Herein lies all wisdom on aerials. "A" is a "Group" - meaning the spacing of its little rods is optimised for particular range of transmitted frequencies. You need a "(Extra) High Gain" - meaning long - and needing precise pointing.

What roof aerial do you have now: Where pointing and which way round? I would start by getting that one right before buying another. Though IMHO aerial fitters for ~£100 are cheap to get the job done - more paying for knowledge than time!

Beware of scallies from over the water!

6. chavo

chavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I payed a guy £140 to fix the aerial in my house, he came and fiddled but when he left still could not get film 4 etc. i dont bother with them anymore.

I got on his roof the other day. the current aerial is pointing at wales and it is a bit smallis.

Can you link 2 aerials together? does it make any differance?

7. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    The problem is to get a good fitter. There is a trade body. Dunno if it makes a difference. You should pay after cure, not for trying.

If you have easy roof access, turn it vertical and point at Storeton. Optimise on analogue; then see what you get digital.

Freeview on Storeton TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002

Linking 2 aerials is not a good idea - unless you get spacings and connection exactly right it might well be worse than either alone.

Broadly speaking the weaker the signal the longer aerial you need - but the more it wobbles and the harder it is to point right.

8. marky.b

marky.b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    when i read about people having problems with signal strength. i start to realise how lucky i am
    i have a 20yr old + tv in the kitchen (that has no scart) running a freeview box and a dvd player via the loop through.
    the box is using the portable loop ariel on the top of the portable and getting an almost full signal.
    in the bedroom i am using another loop ariel on a portable tv and getting a very strong signal. however the other day i decided to get a proper loft ariel and i put it on top of the wardrobe using digital cable and beleive it or not the signal is the same as the loop ariel. i can hold the ariel in my hand and spin it all around like a sword and the picture never flickers
    i beleive that once the analogue signals get switched off the digital signals will get stronger, so hopefuly all the people who are having problems may have more luck

9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    It's that bloody great tall thing at the end of the street that's responsible :D

10. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    A new tenant in my London house asked me where the TV aerial socket was.

It took me some time to work out that we did not have one. On Herne Hill (oddly enough a road going up a hill) facing 1,000,000 Watts of Crystal Palace less than 2 miles away; TVs just work.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009