1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor Arcam Remote response solution!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by JetJockey, Oct 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, just a quickie.

You will remember the discussion regarding the Xantech IR repeater system which can be used to aid the pretty appalling remote response of some of the Arcam Kit.

Just found and installed a less elegant solution which can be purchased at Maplin for £24.95!!

They sell a £9.95 Infra red reciever for your sky box which is powered from and sends remote signals down the aerial co-ax to, your Sky box. Another little unit is available which is powered the same way and outputs the IR signal down a 1mtr cable to 2 IR senders (for any other units)!!!

The whole shebang is called an SLX Link system I think. It's not rocket science, but for £24.95 you can't go wrong. It works like a charm. Just fitted my Arcam DV79 into a vented cupboard no problems. If you don't have a sky box, you can power the whole thing from a 12volt adapter for a few quid more.

Hope this helps.

Gerald. :thumbsup:

2. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Gerald,

This is good news. Do you mind posting the Maplin stock codes of what you have purchased?

I have sky, the remote response for that is satisfactory, it is just the DV79 which I want to improve.

Do I need both items (£9.95 & £24.95) or will just the latter suffice?

Regards,
    Bob

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Arcam should really take note of this and try to improve their remotes. I have a DV79 and the remote response is truly shocking for what is an expensive product.

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I truely can't believe a £1000 machine can be like this. How difficult can it be to make a remote control that functions well. Every other manufacturer seems to do it!???
    Perhaps this is the sales pitch to make you go for the FMJ player? Please don't tell me the remote is just as bad on that too :-(

5. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess then that you haven't seen the remotes on the higher end Musical Fidelity products then. They can only be described as fisher price quality and thats something you wouldn't expect spending upwards of £3000 per seperate.
    Arcam's remote's in comparison are excellent.

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hell that would really suck.... i had the cd33 and A32 amp and the remotes were slow but not i think to the degree people are saying and the denon 3802 was not slow but you had to be right on top of it to work but these aren't real high end products...
    £3k + are. I would hope the AV8 and P7 had better but i suspect not. If they can make a goodun' then surely all the separates would have them??????

CH

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    OK then I wont! :devil:
    But lets just say, I don't think the FMJ remotes are any beter then those of the Diva :rolleyes:

Mark.

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The remote control on the FMJ DV27a is useless. The C30 works great though so they can do it when they want.

9. BladeRnR

BladeRnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say that the remote for the AV8 is quite good compared to the DV-29 which is simply rubbish. I basically use the AV8 most of the time for my chapter skipping and play etc. I too can't believe that Arcam would bring out such bad remotes when their gear is so amazing it's a real shame :nono:

10. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Sorry for delayed reply, been very busy.

Re Maplin codes, am away all week so will have to wait till I get home. The Infra red pickup is £9.95 and the other box of tricks is/was £14.95. The pickup is on a 0.5 mtr flying lead with a "matchbox" size box of electronics on the end. This box has two aerial socket and is fed 12 volt buy your skybox 2nd aerial output. this feature is enabled in the Skybox install menu. From memory, you select the normal services menu and then press 01 and then "select". You can use some aerial coax (any length, thats the beauty) from the Sky box to this unit, routing it through or around cupboards where necessary. Basically, this is just used to run your sky box from a remote location as it sends the sky remote commands down the aerial cable. The extra piece of the jigsaw, is the recent addition of this "other box" (at £14.95) which goes between the Sky box and the first box mentioned, using either another piece of coax or a direct connection. This "second box" has a 2.5mm jack socket on it, into which plugs the 1mtr flying lead with two IR repeaters/blinkers. These can be stuck on or dangled close to, other pieces of equipment in enclosed cupboards etc, and will relay ANY commands picked up by the IR pickup on the "first box".

Basically, this makes for a quite flexible unit for simple installs like mine, at a fraction of the cost of a "professional" unit. The IR pickup can be positioned in direct line of sight whereas your equipment may be off to one side or obscured completely.

I would have to add (again) my comments on the appalling remote performance with the Arcam DV79. For £1000 this is a joke. :thumbsdow

To give Arcam a second chance, I changed my last DV79 for a new one just the other day. Unfortunately, the new DV79 is humming/rumbling when spinning a large number of my DVD's, something the old model never did. The shop say it is possibly the Magnetic disc clamp. Don't really know but my patience is running thin. In addition I would estimate the FM Tuner signal from the AVR300 to be twice (or more) that of the Digital input from the DV79. Try switching from DVD at maybe 75 to 80 DB (reasonable level) to the FM tuner and brace yourselves. The cat is hiding under the settee and the dog hasn't been seen for days! In comparison, the Tuner is deafening. Apparently the trim level can be adjusted for the Tuner but why such hugely differing levels from the same manufacturer??

I have just been loaned a Denon 3910 and 3805. In the words of the song:- "There could be trouble ahead!!!

For what it's worth, Gerald. :mad:

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

Good news for you all. I believe ARCAM will honour any Maplins receipts sent in from recent customers who have chosen to use this route to gain a satisfactory Remote Control. Until their top engineers can work out how to build a fully functioning RC :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :lease:

CH

12. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one!! :laugh:

I was just fumbling through the bin looking for the receipts!

Gerald.