1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor analogue signal, except when HDD/DVD is on

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Raify, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Raify

Raify
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

Noob here, so please be kind :hiya: . I have spent a few hours searching, but no joy...

My problem is that my tv signal (analogue only :rolleyes: ) is very poor, except when it's going through my HDD/DVD recorder.

Signal goes: Arial on roof of block of flats > socket > signal booster > Liteon 5045 HDD/DVD recorder > TV.

I only recently got the recorder, but had the same situation with the signal going through a VCR...

I would just leave the recorder on all the time, but when you set the timer record, you have to shut it down...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Nathan :smashin:

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    Your real problem has nothing to do with your DVDR or VCR (they just boost the signal by a few db's)..........what you have to do is just basically improve the signal by preferably getting a high gain aerial and/or a masthead amplifier fitted by a reputable aerial rigger.

3. Raify

Raify
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was ready to assume that the arial was sh1te, but the picture is crystal clear when going through the HDD/DVD (and even through the old VCR).

Turn the DVD off and the picture goes full grain, low colour etc.

What am I doing wrong? It must be something simple...

thanks for the reply btw

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    If you are getting a very good pic when viewing the signal via the DVDR and/or VCR connected via scart but poor when viewing via your TV's aerial input it suggests a fault in the tuner or input circuitry.
    What make/model of TV?

5. Raify

Raify
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll have to come back with a tv model number, in the meantime I'll experiment more this evening...

6. Raify

Raify
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've ruled out a fault on the tv. Took the arial signal directly from the wall, circumventing the HDD and the picture was perfect.

If I route the signal: Arial > HDD in > HDD out > TV in, the signal is fine, but only when the HDD is on. :confused:

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Raify,

When you say you turn the DVD off, are you actually turning it right off?

Unless you leave it connected to the mains, the signal won't be passed through it.

8. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    Nathan, in your original description of the symptoms your Title and subject of your message were at odds with each other.............but I'll forgive you as you did say you were a "Nooby"......also the word is "Aerial" :lesson: and the Liteon should be abbreviated to "DVDR" (DVD-Recorder) not "HDD" (Hard Disc Drive) :)

Right......reading your last post gives me a clearer idea of your symptoms and the proper technical description is "Poor RF Loopthrough".
    I have no personal experience of the Liteon DVDR but most DVDRs and Vcrs when switched to timer mode or standby should still power that part of the circuit (rf mixer/booster) to enable normal reception via your TVs tuner.
    You aren't unplugging the Liteon from the mains socket after setting the timer are you?
    When you state "shutting it down" are you switching it off at the mains socket or switching it to standby with its remote control?, is the clock in its display still lit?
    Has the Liteon always done this or has it only just started happening recently?
    Does the Liteon have a button on the remote marked "Monitor", "Mon", "Sat Mon" or "Tv Mon"?

9. Raify

Raify
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ooops, sorry about the poor spelling! The Liteon thing does have a hard disk and a DVDR...
    By "switching it off" I just mean putting it on standby via the remote. I've only had the DVDR for a few days, but exactly the same symptoms occurred with a VCR. There's no buttons like that on the remote.

Thanks again for the replies. :smashin:

10. Raify

Raify
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Phew, solved it. In case anyone's interested, here's how:

I had to split the signal at the aerial socket, using one of these splitters.

One cable goes direct to the tv, and the other goes to the RF in of the DVDR. Didn't need to bother with the RF out from the DVDR to the TV, scart carries the picture.

Result, perfect picture with the DVDR on or off. :thumbsup: