Poor Amazon Customer Service - Another Example

Gaslight

Theres been quite a few threads about Amazons reduction in customer service quality over the past couple of years, thought I'd share another example.

Bought an expensive carpet washer for my mum. It worked for all of about thirty minutes, and then stopped. Talked her through the usual checks, fuse, cabling, spoke to the manufacturer if there was a reset function, etc. All the usual stuff, the manufacturer deemed it as a defective appliance and told me to go back to Amazon for a replacement or refund as it was only three days old.

This was a heavy 12kg+ delivery in a huge box.

The returns process would only create a Hermes Drop Off option - unlikely for a 70 year old woman to be able to manage getting it to a Drop Shop, plus even if I booked her a taxi, the box is bigger than a standard boot space. Obviously, I knew Amazon would be able to overide this and create an exception and have it collected, being that it was delivered to the house - boy was I wrong.

I tried over 4 customer service agents on both chat and phone, and also then 4 'supervisors/manangers' - all giving the same 'computer says no' answer.

some of their responses;

'We cannot have this item collected'

'can you log in to any carrier of your choice that can collect your parcel?'

'You will need to use ParcelMonkey or Parcel2Go to arrange your own collection'

'yes you can use a third party carrier to return the parcel if you insist to have it collected'

'once collected send us the invoice and we will reimburse you'

'law states that we need to assist our customer on returning the item or replacing it for any issues that they encounter within the warranty period. '

'By law, if the item is still in the warranty we will assist our customer on returning the item. And right now we are not refusing the return, it is just that on this order collection is not available.'

Obviously, I explained that the fault with the unit is within my 14 day, and as the goods were delivered to me, and are bulky heavy items that are difficult to post, Amazon should have this collected from me.

This fell on deaf ears and each Rep reverted back to lines like above. Talk about hair pulling anger instilling rage making.

Sadly I feel this may fall into a grey area of Consumer Contract Regs, and Amazon are exploiting it.

Anyhow it took over two and a half hours, and then finally after having to resort to explaining the 5th rep from the outset the problem I am having with CS and that I will be emailing Jeffs team with a synopsis of this entire scenario, I was put on hold, and then ten minutes later a collection was arranged and the refund was put through immediately.

I barely return anything to Amazon and have over 200 orders this year alone, and a Prime member for over five years. So its not like I am an occasional purchaser who returns more than I keep.

Profits are up this year for Jeff and his spaceshi[, but service is evidently tanking even further.

D

Deleted member 202217

Got to agree, I've been a prime member for many years and in the thousands I have ordered, I've had to return half a dozen through fault on arrival or never turned up and even the waiting times to be refunded aren't what they were.
I had to recently wait 6 weeks for a refund on a table that never arrived. Citing covid19 as an excuse for the delay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Am I missing something? Pretty much all their responses say you can organise a courier to collect and Amazon will reimburse the cost of this. That seems like a pretty easy solution to me.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Am I missing something? Pretty much all their responses say you can organise a courier to collect and Amazon will reimburse the cost of this. That seems like a pretty easy solution to me.
The outcome is the same but the route is different. There could be any myriad of (entirely valid) reasons for wanting the online retailer to do the legwork and to front the cost. Versus the customer doing the legwork and gets refunded after the event

Is this one of those consumer threads where forum members think a bit of compromise and meeting halfway is not terrible suffering ☺️

Gaslight

If you think that is acceptable, to have to organise and initially pay for a return of an item supplied to you by a worldwide company that is faulty, then I guess thats what they are hoping for.

I don't personally, in my opinion, its for the company who supplied said faulty item to sort out. Im happy to box back up and accept the inconvience of it, they delivered to my house, they collect from my house. It's a farily simple ideology surely?

Amazon did use to do this, so it does show a shift in their service.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I ordered something from amazon France and received the wrong item. I had to send it back at my own expense and was promised reimbursement. Two weeks later they did refund me, but the incorrect amount.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
If you think that is acceptable, to have to organise and initially pay for a return of an item supplied to you by a worldwide company that is faulty, then I guess thats what they are hoping for.

I don't personally, in my opinion, its for the company who supplied said faulty item to sort out. Im happy to box back up and accept the inconvience of it, they delivered to my house, they collect from my house. It's a farily simple ideology surely?

Amazon did use to do this, so it does show a shift in their service.
I completely understand where you are coming from but from what you are telling us you spent a bit of time on this and it seems to have been a cause of stress for you (or your mum). You could have just have gone onto Hermes site and organised a collection and 5 minutes later it would all have been done without any hassle.
Of course it would be better if Amazon collected it from your mums house without you jumping through hoops but sometimes you need to pick your battles and in this instance the easiest and most painless route would have been be to organise a courier yourself.

Gaslight

I completely understand where you are coming from but from what you are telling us you spent a bit of time on this and it seems to have been a cause of stress for you (or your mum). You could have just have gone onto Hermes site and organised a collection and 5 minutes later it would all have been done without any hassle.
Of course it would be better if Amazon collected it from your mums house without you jumping through hoops but sometimes you need to pick your battles and in this instance the easiest and most painless route would have been be to organise a courier yourself.

There would have still been jumping through hoops to get the cost of the return back, but always remember, If I sent it back, and the parcel went missing, I am responsible for it, and would not be refunded.

Thats a £200 loss that id then have to chase the third party for, which is like getting blood from a stone I can assure you, and Amazon walk off scot and hassle free.

This is a huge factor in this, and I imagine forms parts of Amazons marketing plan regarding making these returns more difficult.

booyaka

Whilst I can see you point about the return - Are you not missing the point that the actual carpet cleaner itself was crap/poor/broken etc

If that wasn't broken to start with Amazon wouldn't need to arrange the return......

Amazon have tightened up for sure on their returns as people I know take the pure mickey out of them. A friend of a friend who has around 50k subs on youtube to his "review/technology" channel, ordered items by the boat load via different accounts in his families name, reviews/unboxes them, then returns them to Amazon for a full refund.

Latest was gaming headsets - ordered 9 different headsets - reviewed them all over 10-12 days, then returned them for a full refund.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Amazon have tightened up for sure on their returns as people I know take the pure mickey out of them. A friend of a friend who has around 50k subs on youtube to his "review/technology" channel, ordered items by the boat load via different accounts in his families name, reviews/unboxes them, then returns them to Amazon for a full refund.

Latest was gaming headsets - ordered 9 different headsets - reviewed them all over 10-12 days, then returned them for a full refund.
Maybe the vendors accept this as a marketing contribution - a gamble that the reviews will be favourable.

D

Deleted member 202217

OK with me, loads of warehouse bargains to be had, saved a fortune over the years.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
99% of my returns are collected by the Hermes agent the next day. Trouble is that many of the delivery agents used are not geared up for large items, as they have small vans (sometimes their own cars).

When we occasionally have a very large item we have to book our own. A massive garden shredder recently cost £8 to collect. But they have always refunded me very quickly including the shipping (often as soon as the receive notification the agent has it). To be fair, I can’t really complain. I’ve yet to find an online retailer that makes it’s as quick and easy.

Last edited:

aVdub

Banned
Whilst I can see you point about the return - Are you not missing the point that the actual carpet cleaner itself was crap/poor/broken etc

If that wasn't broken to start with Amazon wouldn't need to arrange the return......

Probably happens more than we realise.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
I must be one of the lucky ones. I've never had anything but incredible customer service with them.

Just this week a light I bought failed after owning it for 5months or so. Went on their live chat and they immediately offered a full refund for the item and sent me a postage label. About 1hour after I had posted it at the post office I had my full refund.

For all they knew I had sent an empty box lol. I've even had before they refund me instantly and give me 30days to send the item back however that was a long time ago now

Miss Mandy

I think I've been very lucky in that I really haven't had to do many returns for items purchased online. The ones I have done though I've always had to sort out return delivery myself then get it refunded so if Amazon asked the same of me in a situation like this one it wouldn't be a problem.
I've also been very lucky that all of my dealing with Amazon for returns have been great and I've never had any issues at all with their customer service.

Gaslight

99% of my returns are collected by the Hermes agent the next day. Trouble is that many of the delivery agents used are not geared up for large items, as they have small vans (sometimes their own cars).

When we occasionally have a very large item we have to book our own. A massive garden shredder recently cost £8 to collect. But they have always refunded me very quickly including the shipping (often as soon as the receive notification the agent has it). To be fair, I can’t really complain. I’ve yet to find an online retailer that makes it’s as quick and easy.

The issue I have is that if you send something back yourself, you are responsible for it reaching its destination, and if it goes missing, or is damaged, you then have to deal with the third party carriers/companies. I think this is entirely unreasonable on Amazon's part considering they sold a defective item and can lead to bigger problems considering the size of the 'prohibited' lists on the likes of Parcel2Go and Parcel Moneys websites.

Baring in mind Amazon never used to have issues collecting, so it does seem a new tide in online retailers protecting revenue anywhere they can, as the CCR regs havent evolved much overtime to keep up with the growth of E-Commerce.

Small returns are simple of course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 202217

Couldn't agree more. I bought a TV that was faulty from AO a few years ago, they sent a lorry to collect it.
I wasn't expected to pack it up and take responsibility for returning it.

If you change your mind on a purchase, that's different, but something faulty, the seller needs to sort it.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I've found it very good. Over the summer I bought an item that wasn't exactly faulty, but didn't really perform as advertised, so I decided to return it. Just a few clicks on the Amazon site to raise a Hermes return - didn't even have to print a label - went down to the local corner shop, scanned my phone, out popped a label, stuck it on - then that was scanned by the bloke. I received the refund before I had even left the shop.

psychopomp1

Amazon are far from perfect but still blow many smaller and more expensive retailers out of the water on their returns policy. Quite often when you return a faulty item with Amazon, the refund is issued on the same day as you drop off item at the post office when using the pre-paid Royal Mail label . Good luck trying to find another retailer who does the same.

Gaslight

Couldn't agree more. I bought a TV that was faulty from AO a few years ago, they sent a lorry to collect it.
I wasn't expected to pack it up and take responsibility for returning it.

If you change your mind on a purchase, that's different, but something faulty, the seller needs to sort it.

I agree, I think people are somewhat missing the point of the thread, a little comical thats for sure. It's not so much about alerting the 'easy' returns of small items, its the bulky items that Amazon have now put the emphasis on the customer to take the risk of returning themselves.

I figure Amazon would expect you to repackage your TV, even if a 65" and take it to the local Hermes store for 'drop off'.

I actually asked at my Hermes store regarding dropping off a parcel the size of the carpet cleaner, and he said he would not take it due to the size and nowhere to store it (they all leave the parcels on the shop floor by me), so essentially, then i'd have to find another shop to take it.

It's definitely laying the foundations to avoid buying anything from Amazon that would be classed as a 'large' or 'bulky' item, as you could be stitched up for a load of hassle if it needs to go back.

scarty16

Can't you section 75 it using consumer credit act. Get the money back, then eth retailer will be left with the issue of collection?

Gaslight

Can't you section 75 it using consumer credit act. Get the money back, then eth retailer will be left with the issue of collection?

Yes, thats always an 'end solution', but Amazon often ban accounts when people use Section 75 , so its a tread lightly scenario if you do value using Amazon.

Another risk is as Amazon are promoting you to send items back on your own accord, and if that item gets lost, I don't know if the banks would still help you in that scenario under Section 75 or Chargeback.

It's a shame really, as they did used to very good. I am going to send Jeffs office an email just to see what their response is as to why they have removed collections for large items. I'll post their response.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone