Pooch has been assaulted!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoochJD, Sep 8, 2007.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Afternoon Folks,

At about 4pm yesterday (Friday) afternoon, I was physically assaulted in my local town centre! :eek:

To cut a long story short, I was on a bus from Birmingham city centre back home, when a yobby-looking scrote came from the top deck of the bus, to the downstairs deck, and sat near the back, before proceeding to play his crappy rap music at full blast via his mobile phone. Despite him getting several annoyed glances from other passengers, I asked him to switch it off, or to put his headphones on. He said no.

I got off the bus, at the final stop, but he had got off before me, and was waiting for me. He proceeded to follow me, shouting at me about "dissin' him" and giving him no respect. I ignored him at first, but then told him to go **** himself. He then follows me very fast, corners me, and punches me multiple times around my head and face. :mad: He's 6ft 1in to 6ft 2in tall, physically fit, though not stocky, and in his early-20's. I'm a weedy guy, only 5ft 7in tall, and have rucksack and groceries, so it's hardly a fair fight, so-to-speak, and I only manage to get one feeble semi-punch in, to try and puish him away from me.

Twenty minutes later, I'm back at home, have called the police, and am a total bloody emotional wreck! Police come round, and I'm given two options:
    - just make a report, in which case the police take down the details, but basically do nothing, or
    - make a full report, but if they try to catch him, I also get charged with "Breach of the Peace" for using foul language against him, even though he is the one who has assaulted me! :thumbsdow

As you can see, I have a great choice! :rolleyes: On top of this, there's no CCTV in the area, and the police tell me that if this happens again, to simply ignore the individual, and don't retaliate! :suicide: Bloody lot of good that is!

Thankfully, all that's happened to me, physically-speaking, is that I've got some minor bruising on my head and forehead, a bit of a painful nose (where he scraped me), and a tiny cut on my forehead where he cut me with something (possibly a fingernail, or other piece of jewellery). Nothing major, thank god, but I feel a bit 1/8th of an inch tall, right now, and rather scared about being around "thugs" again.

I also now realise why so many people carry weapons of some kind with them, and was thinking (last night) about getting a knife or air-pistol of some kind to carry around with me, for defence, in case this kind of thing ever happens again. Obviously, this is a definite :nono: , but I see why people do so! I was also feeling borderline suicidal, but that feelings now abated.

Okay, I've said what I needed to say. This post has been more about exorcising some of my anger and frustration, than anything else. I don't expect any sympathy, as I did - to a greater or lesser degree provoke him - but the whole thing's scared the faecal-matter out of me. What's the point of calling the police, if they won't do anything?! We really do live in a totally ****ed-up society, and part of me doesn't want to be a part of it any more. :mad:

Folks wishing to discuss the relevance of fighting back or not, should go see this thread here.

Pooch
    (Feeling very, very freaked-out.)

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    Wow shocked. Hope you recover

tbh though my own advice to people would be to (metaphorically) pick your fights carefully and let things go more. It is a dangerous world out there and you do not know what people are carrying. I would count your blessings despite going way OTT the guy didn't have a knife

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Youth of today are w****** mate unfortunately. Decent people who try to make a difference get beaten up or generally abused. It's a crazy situation that you could be charged in this instance and smacks to me of the Police trying to dissuade you from giving them work to do.

Absolute disgrace in my opinion!

Forgive my generalisations, hope you are ok and get your confidence back soon.

4. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    Sorry to hear that Pooch :(

My advice is just to keep to yourself. You never know who is carrying weapons nowadays. Sometimes you can accidently look at someone and it can trigger them off. Like LFC_SL said its a dangerous world out there :(

5. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Sick people. By the way the bus has CCTV quite a few also.

I would never get involved regarding someone on a bus, thats the bus drivers job.

6. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Hope you get better soon...try not to let your confidence get knocked. When you feel up to it get on a bus asap just to feel safe again.

Unfortunately a large majority of the younger generation appear to lack any kind of respect for other people....I was raised with the adage of treat people how you'd like to be treated yourself. Like you, I'm usually the one to actually question someone who is being a complete :censored: and upsetting/annoying other people around them.

All the best,

Steve :)

7. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    :eek: Sheesh, that sounds horrible, no wonder you are feeling low - I hope you are treating yourself to a nice weekend with lots of films and chocolate.

Sincerely hope you feel better soon, I don't think you did anything wrong - you were unlucky that he decided to attack you but lucky that you didn't pick up any serious injuries.

I might suggest having a think about using the bus's cctv to identify him and press charges, take the charge against you (will it really matter) just to see justice done to him?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their support. :)

Alas, Pixel, even the drivers don't do anything, because they are too scared of being assaulted or attacked as well. This certainly applies to most of the bus drivers in Birmingham and Walsall, anyway, irrespective if it's people playing music on their mobiles, and/or people smoking or taking drugs! They're too scared to do anything, so everyone has suffer.

Makes life a living hell, for everyone! :mad: Unfortunately, it seems that if the public try to do anything, (as sort of happened in my case), then they get attacked, and the police won't do anything, because the law and the justice system won't let them. So, we all end up suffering because of one total moron! :mad: Makes you wonder what the point of trying to live in this day and age, and be a good citizen, when the scum of the earth are happy to get away with murder, and no one can do anything to stop them.

Pooch

9. Manhattan Mike

Manhattan Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant understand how you could be charged :confused:

Your country needs a bit of what we have here in New York its called Zero Tolerence and completly changed the city I live in.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI Mike,

Unfortunately, I would be charged with using offensive language in a public place, or "Breach of the peace" as it's technically called. As for Zero Tolerance, we have (had) a Government which for 10 years promised it "Would be tough on crime. Tough on the causes of crime". Sadly, despite introducing many hundreds of new laws, and with gun and knife crime now becoming an almost daily occurrence, the crime rate in Britain is soaring but the people in charge of us, keep telling us otherwise.

We're now at a point, were no one can do anything - neither the public or the police.

Pooch

11. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Glad your OK man, but living in Walsall I think you should have known better to get involved in an arguement with a chav, especially on the bus. You know what the buses are like around here (west brom, birmingham, walsall).

It would have just been easier to ignore him and go home without getting punched in the face.

12. dBrowne

dBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    What? Once assaulted? Make no attempt to defend yourself? And do what, endure the onslaught passively in the hope that a policeman might wander on by? Was he seriously suggesting that that would be the only way for you to be found blameless in court?

Saddened to hear what you've been subjected to. Hope you recover soon.

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Would tend to agree. Having seen people get battered for less, and I'm sorry this is nothing new as the worse thumping I ever saw happened in the summer of 76', I wouldn't get involved. Bus drivers don't want to know and never have. When I was young, the 'skins' used to carry stanley knives, and having been slashed with one (1982') it's not fun.

Dbrowne, he was talking before, not after.

On the Police, again this is hardly 'new' or down to 'this govt'. A mate of mine was attacked in 1985, by a group of lads as he left the pub. We latched on to a copper within minutes (it's a busy high street), he took one look at the other group, and promptly dismissed my mate as 'being provocative' (he was wearing an offensive haircut :rolleyes:) threatened to arrest another one of our friends (he had a studded wristband) for carrying an offensive weapon, and frankly, didn't want to know. He didn't even question the guys who'd done the damage, as they stood laughing outside the pub. My mate was covered in blood, yet didn't even warrant the coppers time of day.:thumbsdow

So please don't give me the Police can't do anything because they are 'wrapped up in red tape now'. Unless you're saying they were back then?

They don't want to know unless it's an easy arrest. Is all...........

Sorry to hear about it Pooch, but I've been attacked on more than a few occasions over the years. Luckily, unlike you, I'm pretty big so I've never had to endure that. It's not acceptable, and it needs to stop, but without a lot more police, which means a lot more money, I can't see it.

Hope you're feeling better in a few days.

Oh, and nip into the CAB. They might be able to advise on further action. Despite what the coppers said, I wouldn't let it lie.

14. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,680
  15. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    well done Pooch
    don't, erm.. beat yourself up about it mate . you at the end of the day are the "bigger fella" for standing up to this thug

well done you :smashin:

16. Xan

Xan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65

17. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Sorry to hear that you were assaulted and I hope you're feeling better.

Moosh

18. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Hear Hear

Don't go worrying about it to much, that sort of thing will only happen to you once in a life time.

19. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I'm sorry to hear you were ruffed up. It sounds to me like the police pressured you into not making a full report. A nice way for the police to keep crime reports down and make it look like they are doing a great job, if you want to make a full report I would still go ahead with it. Don't worry about the "Breach of the Peace" at worsed I would think you would get a caution BUT when or if I made a formal statement I would leave that part out.

Can you imagine if this had happned to someone like an MP? You think they would of been pressured into dropping it?

20. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Man, that's bad. I really hope you get over this and quickly. I'm still an emotional wreck after being assaulted in a "road-rage" incident a couple of years back, even though the sack that did it was prosecuted by the police and is in no position now to do it again, so I have an idea how you feel. Don't dwell on it, just keep thinking "what goes around, comes around" and think positive. Like, he's gonna annoy somebody bigger sometime soon and get the crap kicked out of him.

I was also threatened in a McDonald's recently by a scrote who decided he (6ft-something tall, brick s**thouse build), his mother and his kid decided they didn't want to wait their turn and I objected to them queue-jumping.

Although I can see where you're coming from, I would say that this is exactly the sort of attitude that these scumbags thrive on, the reason why they get away with the things they do. Oh, and I have a Leatherman multi-tool which I carry about with me now. The knife on it is razor-sharp and perfectly legal, if you know what I mean.

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    If you are ever in a threatening situation where you had the time to pull that out , open it and damage someone with it you also had enough time and freedom of movement to get yourself out of there. you better hope the other guy had an axe or gun and you were backed into a corner otherwise you will most likely be going to prison.

I got attacked once after deliberately walking away from an altercation. The other guy was injured during his attack on me ( I didn't even hit him) and the Police ( who I called after he left the scene I hasten to add) arrested me , banged me up for the night and 3 weeks later charged me with GBH with intent ( max possible sentence...life imprisonment).

I then had to wait a rather nerve wracking 6 months (luckily I wasn't remanded although the CPS requested I be banged up despite having no previous criminal record).

Than I had a 3 day crown court trail at the close of which I was unanimously found not guilty by the jury. By the end of the trail the prosecution's case was so flimsy they were attacking me for wearing contact lenses instead of glasses on the night of the incident , apparently with glasses on I'm respectable and with contact lenses I'm a raving psychopath : a bit like Superman in reverse.

You could see the disbelief on the faces of the jury and the judge looked thoroughly annoyed that I was even charged. At the end of the traia the prosecution barrister shook my hand and the detective in charge of the case congratulated me.... surreal is not the word.

So if I had to put up with that level of hassle and stress for doing the "right" thing what sort of chance do you have if its remotely provable you reacted in an aggressive manner or used a weapon.

The other party in question had some minor cuts to his face ( 26 stitches but not one cut was longer than 1cm (numerous small cuts) and no muscle damage. Bear that in mind before you go gutting someone with a leatherman when they've slapped you a couple of times.

22. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    It also has a great pair of pliers.

23. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,210
    Damn...keep yer pecker up mate...I would also go for the full report, breach of the peace is nothing.

24. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch I am very sorry to hear what happened to you.

25. Reign-Mack

Reign-Mack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    That was brave pooch pitty nobdy else said anything on the bus

26. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    me too mate, don't let the :censored: get you down....life is too short to overly worry about amoebas like him. You stood your ground mate, well done - take solace in the fact that you have a great life with a loving family, he will probably end up in the nick at some stage and end up being coerced into being "friends" with a much larger bloke in the showers.

27. gelati

gelati
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to hear about that, Pooch, you really can't predict that sort of thing happening. My grandmother was mugged at the age of 91 and eventually died of her injuries. But at least you don't have to walk down the street worried about whether you will be recognized by someone who you bashed. The person responsible has in the meantime probably stapled his hood to the top of his head. I wish you all the best, and hope you feel better soon.

28. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,822
    What an awful story Pooch - I hope you don't let it affect your life too much.

I would definitely be making a full report. There is a good chance there is CCTV on the bus, or possibly near the stops where this guy got on.

The charge against you is laughable - the police are just being lazy and trying to avoid the paperwork and keep down their crime stats. Don't let it work. I would imagine that at absolute worst they would seek to caution you. I can't imagine that the legal system would allow a case to proceed. I would look at going to the press if that looked even remotely likely. (And of course you could deny using any foul language - whose word are they going to believe?)

The biggest motivation for proceeding with a full report has to be that failing to do so would leave this scumbag on the streets to do it again. And next time, he might really seriously hurt someone.

29. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    A similar thing happened to me a few years ago in Stockport. I was pushed to the ground and broke my wrist, which meant that I was of no real use to my company for about a month. The reason was that I politely complained to a youth that he had pushed in front of me at the newsagents.

The violent language and resulting phyisical menace posed by the man was a real shock.

The police are utterly useless. They are as likely to charge you with an offense for defending yourself as they are to charge the said thug.

Decent and law abiding citizens in this country are now the target of both scumbags and the police, in my opinion.

I advise you to remember that the person that assaulted you is scum, and that you are a decent and law abiding person, and try to take solice in this knowledge.

Cheers mate,

Damo :smashin:

30. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,004
    Sorry to hear about this Pooch, chin up, hope you get over it soon. Nothing to feel two feet tall about, and perhaps some pride in that you spoke out in the first place :smashin:.

Btw, you know a bit about the law don't you? So I was wondering .. can they really charge you with that crap if it was under repeated provocation and verbal abuse from that thug? May be they're calling your bluff to avoid the paperwork, and such a charge against you might not be made in light of a highly probable aquittal on the grounds mentioned earlier. I personally, would then go for it, if there's CCTV evidence of the attack.